Analytics
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Cross Domain Tracking - All traffic direct traffic

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I have a client who processes payment through a third party payment solution. To ensure that we can track conversions in his GA account I have linked the two domains through the linker method, and everything seems to be working fine...

... except for referral data. Basically I have set the two domains in the Referrer Exclusion Lists but all traffic is now being records as Direct / (none). This means I can't accurately report on Adwords conversions.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I need to do here? Below is the code that I'm using:

Client's Website:

ga('create', 'UA-9999999-1', 'auto', {allowLinker: true});
ga('require', 'linker');
ga('linker:autoLink', ['ecommercewebsite.com']);
ga('require', 'displayfeatures');
ga('send', 'pageview');

E-Commerce Website:

ga('create', "UA-9999999-1", 'auto', 'providerTracker', {'allowLinker': true});
ga('require', 'linker');
ga('linker:autoLink', ['clientswebsite.com'] );
ga('providerTracker.send', 'event', 'blah', 'blah', 'blah', '0.00');

Any help most appreciated!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ben :-)
Do you have any control over the tracking code on the ecommerce site?

Default tracker name for Universal analytics is t0 ..
yet ga('create', "UA-9999999-1", 'auto', 'providerTracker', {'allowLinker': true}); on the ecommerce site indicates its renamed something to providerTracker yet its not consistent with the next two lines of code.. 
ga('require', 'linker');
ga('linker:autoLink', ['clientswebsite.com'] );

From what i understand.. unless they both have the same tracker name, then there is going to be a disconnect there between data.

The other thing i noticed too, and im not sure how/if this affects tracking. display features has been turned on for the main website, but not for the ecommerce site tracking.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn,

Thanks for the quick (and massively useful!) reply.

I'll drop the ecommerce chap a line now and ask him to a) remove the 'providerTracker' name (so that it reverts to the default), and b) add in the displayfeatures call. 

I'll let you know how I get on!