AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Could you put your own team members' actual names into GA as Custom Dims, or does that break terms?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I would like to build a custom report that tracks behaviour of our own internal team; the relevant fact here is that I'd like to use their actual names for convenience & fun.

Since these aren't customers I was hoping that this would be ok—but is it? I am aware that, generally speaking, adding personally identifiable information into GA is a no-no, but is this more for customers' safety and protection? What if everyone is aware that it is being done?

I think sometimes these kind of policies can be a little stuffy and this is one item that is maybe a bit of a grey area... Not sure.

In this case it probably wouldn't be worthwhile taking the extra step of setting up some kind of lookup table on an outside service and keeping it synced up, it's more of just an interesting little experiment.

Thanks very much!! Smiley LOL

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Could you put your own team members' actual names into GA as Custom Dims, or does that break ter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Drew,

Unfortunately, that still breaks their TOS.

A rather easy workaround would be to pass in a unique ID instead of their names. Then in Excel or Google Sheets, you could use a Vlookup to map the IDs to their names.

Thanks,
Isaac

Re: Could you put your own team members' actual names into GA as Custom Dims, or does that break ter

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi, Drew, I would tend to agree with @Isaac A, and that the information you collect, whether or not you have the consent of others, goes against Google's TOS. However, as you say, it IS a grey area and I would probably go to your legal team for advice. That is where you should ultimately go with this.

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn