AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Content grouping, which one is the most accurate and lightweight method?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm currently already using page grouping and want to create another new one. So far I'm using tracking code, but I don't think it's accurate because even I already assigned each page at least a tracking code, it's often reported as not set. So same page with same URL, reported on 2 group, let's say clothes 12000 hit, and reported on not set 5000 hit. If it's accurate it should be nothing reported as not set.

Now I want to create new one
1. Which one has most accurate reporting?
2. Which one is the most heavyweight? Using less network connection (between G Analytics and visitor) to do this job.

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Abdul S
March 2017

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi Abdul,

All pageview hits are sent to GA with window.document.location as a  parameter (unless you change this); then, when processed, checked against the rules you configured in the interface.  The client (browser) does not do any extra work -- it's all handled by the GA servers and no extra data is sent by the client.

When you configure content grouping in the tracking code; an extra param would be passed with the content group and your browser would do the work.

Does that make sense?

Best,

Theo

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Abdul,

Either method should be accurate.  That said, I prefer to push the burden to the Google Analytics servers and have them do it using a rules based configuration.  That has the added benefit of you not having to worry about tagging each page.  If you are using GTM you could push the rules in a lookup table -- either way you are having Google do the work for you and you don't have to worry about the governance nightmare of having multiple code versions.

You should almost always see not set unless all pages are in all groups.  That is if I'm looking at clothes then everything that does not match clothes should be not set, even if it matches another group.   That let's you see how large of a subset of all pages in the same report.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It seems my reply here got deleted Smiley Sad Did you?

Okay I will write it again in short version, when using rule based configuration, do the visitors or my server have to send the entire webpage to G Analytics to be analyzed which page grouping the page belongs to?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Abdul,

You configure the rules in the User Interface and the rest is done based upon the hit that GA receives.  If it matches what you configured, it will be added to that group(s).  You are actually sending slightly less data and when using rules based method.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So GA calculate which group a page belongs to on browser level using javascript? and then the answer will be sent to Google?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Abdul S
March 2017

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi Abdul,

All pageview hits are sent to GA with window.document.location as a  parameter (unless you change this); then, when processed, checked against the rules you configured in the interface.  The client (browser) does not do any extra work -- it's all handled by the GA servers and no extra data is sent by the client.

When you configure content grouping in the tracking code; an extra param would be passed with the content group and your browser would do the work.

Does that make sense?

Best,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Totally unsderstand, thanks! Google Analytics is such sophisticated tool. Then I'll try to use rule based grouping, I hope this also can resolve my grouping problem.