AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Content grouping - multiple groups per page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I'm trying to set up content grouping on an ecommerce site but I don't think I'm fully getting how it's supposed to work. From the docs I get the impression I should be able to categorise my pages in multiple ways but the it also says 1 category per page.

I have category pages, brand pages, product pages and other types such as cms, checkout etc.

I've defined 3 content groups:

Group 1: PageType

Group 2: Category

Group 3: Brand

For PageType I've defined labels such as ProductPages, ListingPages, CMSContent...

For Category - the label is the category name

For Brand - brand name

Now let's say the current page is a cms page - I set Group 1, CmsContent and I don't set group 2 and 3 - this seems to work pretty well.

Now let's say the current page is product page for nike shirt. I set all 3 groups like this:

ga('set', 'contentGroup1', 'ProductPages');
ga('set', 'contentGroup2', 'Shirts');
ga('set', 'contentGroup3', 'Nike');

And I expect to go in the reports, select each one of my groups and in each group see the same product page because I've described this page with a label from 3 different perspectives. I apply similar logic to category (group 1: listing pages, group 2: category name, no group 3) and brands (group 1: listing pages, no group 2, group 3: brand name) pages.

Here's an actual example of a product page:

ga('require','ec');

ga('require','linkid');
ga('require','displayfeatures');

ga('set', 'contentGroup1', 'ProductPages');
ga('set', 'contentGroup2', 'Golf Shirts');
ga('set', 'contentGroup3', 'Callaway Golf');
ga('ec:addProduct',{"id":"G20732","name":"New Media Test Product","brand":"Callaway Golf","category":"Golf Apparel/Golf Shirts","variant":null,"price":"25","quantity":null,"coupon":null,"position":null});
ga('ec:setAction', 'detail');
ga('send', 'pageview');

Am I doing it right? I'm not confident I fully understood how this is meant to work.