Analytics
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Connecting Google Analytics and Squarespace

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I first launched my Squarespace site (in early July 2016) I had inserted the Google Analytics ID code in the "Advanced Settings" section and it worked great for months (until about mid December 2016). Then all of a sudden it just stopped working, I've tried re-inputting the sitemap, ID code, etc. but nothing has worked. 

I've reached out to the Squarespace service center, but since it is an outside vendor they can't do much to help. 

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you re-connect the two accounts?

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sarah R
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Sarah R :-)

Do you know if you have created and applied any filters to the google analytics View around the time it stopped tracking?
Did you maybe enable display features for demographics and interest reporting around the time it stopped tracking??

Changes to tracking setup usually take up 24- 48hrs or so to start showing in the reports.

To use the current version of analytics tracking, i suggest using the squarespace recommended code injection method.
- remove the google analytics tracking id from the applicable squarespace settings 
Settings > Advanced > External Services > Google Analytics Account Number

and use the method on this page in their instructions to copy/paste the full tracking code snippet available within your analytics account under Property > Tracking Info > Tracking Code

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205815608-Using-Google-Analytics-with-Squarespace

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sarah R
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Sarah R :-)

Do you know if you have created and applied any filters to the google analytics View around the time it stopped tracking?
Did you maybe enable display features for demographics and interest reporting around the time it stopped tracking??

Changes to tracking setup usually take up 24- 48hrs or so to start showing in the reports.

To use the current version of analytics tracking, i suggest using the squarespace recommended code injection method.
- remove the google analytics tracking id from the applicable squarespace settings 
Settings > Advanced > External Services > Google Analytics Account Number

and use the method on this page in their instructions to copy/paste the full tracking code snippet available within your analytics account under Property > Tracking Info > Tracking Code

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205815608-Using-Google-Analytics-with-Squarespace

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you! What ended up happening was one of the filters I had applied was hiding all the traffic. After disabling them my traffic showed up again. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Happy to hear its now working again for you :-))

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn, 

I am having an issue with squarespace as well and thought you might be able to help. I have the google analytics ID code entered in my squarespace and it's working. However, google analytics is not tracking the behavior of the user flow correctly. I have tested it with a coworker trying it and going to different pages and looked a few days later and it is still saying they dropped off after the homepage (when we know they did not). It is showing a few users going to the second or third pages, but definitely not the majority. Any thoughts or tips?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Katie L :-)

Are you able to provide a link to the website?

Thanks
Bronwyn

Re: Connecting Google Analytics and Squarespace

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
acozycasa.com

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Thanks for posting back @Katie L :-)

From what i can tell, the tracking code is installed correctly, however the site uses ajax and even though the 

page url is changing when navigating to a new page, analytics isnt seeing it as having navigated to

another page (this can happen when tracking isnt configured correctly for ajax)

You may have to speak with squarespace support, since they control how the tracking works/integrates with their product.

Re: Connecting Google Analytics and Squarespace

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much! Just fixed that so we will see if it works.

Appreciate your help a ton!