Analytics
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Conflict between ga.js and analytics.js?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I am trying to track down a problem with the website I am working with (the data we get is improbable, as if we're only receiving partial information about visits from a certain source/medium) and I am now trying to understand the way in which ga.js and analytics.js libraries work together.

We have three snippets on the website:

1. analytics.js tracking data to property A of account 1,
  2. ga.js tracking data to property B of account 2,
  3. an empty GTM container.

I am checking data in property A and it looks bad. I don't have access to property B nor to the GTM container.

Is it possible that the ga.js tracking is messing up the analytics.js tracking on the website? Do they share cookies? Can they overwrite each other even thout it's different properties and different accounts?

Thanks for any explanation you may have about how these work together.

Aldona

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aldona P
June

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Aldona P,

Normally, they should not collide and they use different cookies(UA is designed to not to collide with GA to ease the transition from GA to UA). The reason of your issue should be something else.

By the way, is there any specific reason that you are not using 2 universal analytics instead? You can use a named tracker to achieve this if you need.

I hope this helps.

Regards

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aldona P
June

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Aldona P,

Normally, they should not collide and they use different cookies(UA is designed to not to collide with GA to ease the transition from GA to UA). The reason of your issue should be something else.

By the way, is there any specific reason that you are not using 2 universal analytics instead? You can use a named tracker to achieve this if you need.

I hope this helps.

Regards

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you! I now have a better understanding of how it works.

The only reason I know of is legacy implementation, as far as I know the team working on the website is looking to migrating the tracking to UA but since it's a very large portal, it takes time to research the move properly.

Best wishes

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Happy to help. Smiley Happy You're welcome!