AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Client ID/User ID help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm not a developer in any fashion and am looking for help regarding the Client ID and User ID functions. What is the difference between the two? When you have created the new view within GA what code needs to be implemented and where? How do you then collect the data (new event goal?) once you have the code properly installed. Anyone who would be available to briefly discuss this by email or phone I would greatly appreciate it.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Client ID/User ID help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Nick, it definitely clears things up. Im aware of the new view that needs to be created for a UID, so I guess my question is once the view has been created in GA and the user logs into their account on the site, how would you then match the UID to that specific person? Is this something that happens automatically since the login info has been entered by the user and each unique user has one specific UID? Is this something that would require the likes of a CRM collecting that info and then uploading it through a data import? If it's the ladder, how would the CRM be collecting the users UID in order to re-upload into GA and associate that person's name and UID that was collected with what is being displayed in GA? Hope I wasn't to wordy and am making sense. Thanks again for the help! 

Client ID/User ID help

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi, Jared,

When a user logs in, and is assigned a UID, there is no way you should identify that person using GA data. One of the stipulations of using GA is that you don't collect any personally identifiable information (PII), such as first/last names, email, phone number, SSN/SIN, etc. So you should not be tracking information regarding an individual and associating that with the UID. In other backend systems that may be possible, so like in the CRM you mentioned you could pass the UID into that and then you'd have the UID in both the CRM as well as in GA, and then you can manipulate the data that way, but just make sure that, again, no PII is found within GA.

How you collect the UID into the CRM would be unfamiliar to me, as it really depends on the CRM itself. If it's like Salesforce or something, then there def is a way to integrate that with GA and send custom data into SF like the UID.

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn