Analytics
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Changed domains and hosts and GA still not working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, 

I have recently changed from www.thefittraveller.com.au to www.thefittraveller.com. I have also just changed hosts. I have put in the new tracking code into the site but GA still isn't working.

Can you help?

Thanks in advance, 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Changed domains and hosts and GA still not working

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Skye G,

I have taken a look with the Google Tag Assistant extension for Google Chrome, which is a free and very helpful tool and great for verifying tags on websites.

If you take a look at the screenshot (below) you will see that three tags are firing, although one is unassigned (US-0000000-0) to any Analytics account and can be removed. The other two are different, which usually means one belongs to you and another to your web company, advertising company or another helper involved. 

From here, I would remove the #1 tag.

Next, I would visit Google Analytics and see which one of these tags belong to you. As long as your account is UA-26211480-8 or UA-80819308-1 (this should be yours), you do have it set up and working. However, I do see where the tags are listed as being within an iframe, which it should not be. 

The Google Tag Manager snippet must be placed directly in the page that you intend on tracking. Placing it in a hidden iframe or deploying it within another tag management system will prevent certain tags from accurately tracking the parent page.
This will prevent certain tags from accurately tracking the parent page because of which tags added via GTM may not fire accurately.
The Google Tag Manager snippet must be placed directly in the page, immediately after the opening <body>tag, that you intend on tracking

If neither of these are listed in the Analytics account you are checking, then the wrong account is being checked. Please note that if the website or analytics account was just set up, it will take a day or so to show up in your Analytics dashboard. 

fit.jpg

Hope this helps,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much James! I will do this now. I really appreciate the help!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Very welcome, Skye.

Please let us know how things go and if you need any further help.

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi James,

Sorry I think I found one of the other tags - the 0000 one and changed it to my code. However, now when I use tag assistant it isn't finding any tags at all.

Can you help?

Sorry this might be super simple but I can't quite figure it out.

Thanks again Skye

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Skye G,

Looks like you have been busy working on things, which is great. Please know that we are here to help, so no issue is too simple... you are doing great being proactive with your website. 

As of now, it appears Tag Assistant is firing on three tags and shows that two of them are healthy (although duplicates) and one that is still within an iframe (blue tag).

Upon reviewing your actual site code, I found that the blue tag is actually firing from within the SnapWidget photo plugin, so you can't affect that one. If you use their plugin, this is part of their code as they are tracking the use of their plugin. 

Next, we have the final two tags. I would remove the first one and keep the second. 

Line 126-135:

<script type="text/javascript">
var _gaq = _gaq || [];
_gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-80819308-1']);
_gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);
(function() {
var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
ga.src=('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
})();
</script>

Line 321-328:

<script>
(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
})(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');
ga('create', 'UA-80819308-1', 'auto');
ga('send', 'pageview');
</script>

tag-assistant-audit.jpg

Since the tags are firing, you should be able to see some performance within the Google Analytics account dashboard. Please post back and let us know how things are going and if you need further help.

Kind Regards,

James