Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Can I use the existing google analytics tracking code for my new website (same domain name)?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Experts,

Please answer my following query

We are using Google analytics tracking code for our existing website, currently we have got a complete new website which will replace the existing one with the same domain name. 

Since the domain name is same,

1. Can we use the same tracking code for the new one?

2. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using the existing tracking code?

3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using the new tracking code?

Awaiting for your replies

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can I use the existing google analytics tracking code for my new website (same domain name)?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Yes, you can use the same tracking code, but there will be a 'discontinuity' in the data -- i.e. one day it will change and become something different.

If you want to be able to see/compare traffic or goal metrics spanning the two time periods, using the same code is best. If comparing the old to the new is not something you will want to do, then you can implement a new code on the new site.

In both cases, you can work around any problems if you pick the opposite option.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Can I use the existing google analytics tracking code for my new website (same domain name)?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. If I use the same google tracking code , will I get
any error?. If I get any error what would be the next step?

Awaiting for your response

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
The only warning error you might get it if you change the domain of the website, which you said you weren't.

Note that you should review all the settings for the property and views; filters, goals, default page, referral exclusion list, custom dimensions or metrics....basically review all of the Admin pages to make sure the old site didn't have anything specific that no longer applies to the new site.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. Have a great day.