AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Can I report Custom Metric AFTER reporting the standard GA pageview?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Moria S
November 2015

Re: Can I report Custom Metric AFTER reporting the standard GA pagevie

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Moria,

A custom dimension or metric can be sent after the initial pageview by adding a new pageview (virtual pageview call) or by sending an event to GA. The point is it has to be tied to sending a hit (pageview, event, transaction ...) to GA - just setting the value will not add the value to GA but any subsequent hit on a page will do so.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moria, how are things?

If by "AFTER" you mean AFTER the user visit, I don't think it's possible, because you wouldn't have the meanings to attach that information to the user session, hits and those types of things. Take a look:

Source: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2709828?hl=en

"Collection
Custom dimension and metric values are sent to Google Analytics at collection time as a pair of index and value parameters. The index parameter corresponds to the index of the custom dimension or metric defined in the Configuration phase.

Unlike other types of data, custom dimensions and metrics are sent to Google Analytics as parameters attached to other hits, like pageviews, events, or ecommerce transactions. As such, custom dimension or metric values need to be set before a tracking call is made in order for that value to be sent to Google Analytics."

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's what I thought...
Thanks for your help leandrofm! Smiley Happy
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Moria S
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Moria,

A custom dimension or metric can be sent after the initial pageview by adding a new pageview (virtual pageview call) or by sending an event to GA. The point is it has to be tied to sending a hit (pageview, event, transaction ...) to GA - just setting the value will not add the value to GA but any subsequent hit on a page will do so.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net