Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Calculating sessions with live streaming on homepage

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I hope this is the right place to ask this, please feel free to move to a more relevant sub-forum if not.

We currently have our sessions calculated as default, that is to say after 30 minutes of inactivity, the session is closed and a new one started whenever the users are active again. However, at certain times of the year, we will live stream a video on our site which will be at least two hours and we actively drive traffic to this via campaigns. As far as I know, nobody has ever looked at this before. Am I right to be concerned that this will skew our reporting? Would it be good or bad practice to change the setting to 2 hours (or thereabouts) JUST for the times where we have live streaming? Would love to hear advice from the experts Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nicola S
January 2016

Re: Calculating sessions with live streaming on homepage

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
In my humble opinion the better way is to sending periodical events to Google Analytics on this particular page. Thanks to that you will have more specific data about users engagement.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nicola S
January 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
In my humble opinion the better way is to sending periodical events to Google Analytics on this particular page. Thanks to that you will have more specific data about users engagement.

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Try using the sample code from: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19059919/google-analytics-real-time-active-page-keep-alive

Event tracking help: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/events

Best Regards,
GA Guru.

'Star' or 'Accept as Solution' if it helped.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Tomasz. That sounds sensible - I'll look into that. I'm a bit of a novice with the implementation side of things - could I do this with Google Tag Manager or would I need a developer to help me? To extend my question a bit further; we also have a LOT of videos on our site and will soon be having live online tutorials. The videos range from 2mins to 60mins in length. I assume I should track these with event tracking? Nothing is tracked at the moment apart from the page, and I want to change that so we can actually see how many people actually make use of that content.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, GA Guru. The event tracking sounds like it's the way to go. I asked the poster above with regards to further tracking of videos, both live and non-live. If you have any thoughts on this too I would be most grateful Smiley Happy