Analytics
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Bounce rate dropped - appreciate help troubleshooting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We implemented Google Tag Manager for a client and saw the bounce rate drop upon implementation.

The original GA tag is commented out, so shouldn't be picked up as a double page view but am wondering if it's best to remove completely? (The developer didn't think this should cause any issues, either.)

I have also double-checked that the correct events are set as non-interactions so beyond the possibility above, am stumped. Appreciate any other troubleshooting advice or insights. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bounce rate dropped - appreciate help troubleshooting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

You can check if your tracking is set up properly using the Google Tag Assistant Chrome plugin.

Let me know what you find.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It shows the GTM tag and the GA tag (from the GTM container) - it is not throwing up any Tag Assistant flags.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Is there only a single pageview request? What was the bounce rate before the GTM implementation and what is it now?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 3.24.40 PM.png

This is what I'm seeing. Bounce rate was at 80% and dropped to 25%. I checked the timeline and the drop occurred the day we pushed GTM so I'm assuming there's something funky going on but can't seem to find it!

I also looked at some other reports - the drop seems highest for desktop users in Chrome and IE, coming from direct and organic search traffic. Not sure if that sparks any other thoughts.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
It seems to be OK by Tag Assistant. If you could share your site URL I'd be glad to look into it for you.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sure - www.creditriskmonitor.com is the URL.

Also, I disabled Display Advertising Features in my UA tag temporarily. Read something somewhere about a second pageview being triggered by something with Doubleclick so thought it worth turning off temporarily (we aren't using) to see if anything changes. 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Your tracking seems to be set up correctly, let me know if disabling DC made any difference.