Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Bounce Rate suddenly dropped

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our website is http://designer-carpet-remnants.co.uk/ and the bounce rate dropped suddenly in October to 4%, for a while I was happy but then I realised it was very unnatural.
I've read the most common cause is duplicate tracking codes but I can only see one tacking code, I was hoping someone might be able to help me figure out what's gone wrong.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason B
January 2016

Re: Bounce Rate suddenly dropped

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jason,

You have one an analytics tracking tag in your Google Tag Manager container and a tracking code added to your site for the same property. So you are sending duplicate hits to GA.
I'd suggest to remove the analytics tracking code from the site and leave the tracking tag inserted through GTM.
Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason B
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jason,

You have one an analytics tracking tag in your Google Tag Manager container and a tracking code added to your site for the same property. So you are sending duplicate hits to GA.
I'd suggest to remove the analytics tracking code from the site and leave the tracking tag inserted through GTM.
Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Arnold you're a real life saver.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold. I am having a very similar issue, except my bounce rate suddenly dropped to 0.98% and hasnt changed for days. How did you find out that there were duplicate tracking codes? I would love to know this in order to verify that my site http://purposetonourish.com doesnt have the same issue. But I am hoping it does so that I can get this fixed asap.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi,

You are double tracking the UA-72768420-1 property, your tracking code appears twice in the source code. Leave only once instance of the code and move it up to the head section.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,
I have similar issues.
My question is which is better to use the Google Analytics code or the Tag Manager?
I thought that we needed to add both to the source code.
This is our Analytics code 'UA-61172313-1'

Please advise,
Wendy
www.newpacificdirect.com

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Wendy,

You don't need to add both codes. If you have your tag set up in GTM, you don't need to add the tracking code to the site. You need to move the GTM code up to appear after the beginning <body> tag. Let me know when you made these changes and I'll check it again for you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank You, could you tell me which is better to use?
I was under the impression that tracking code is needed when setting up analytics.

Thank You in Advance Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
There is no "better" solution.

Through Google Tag Manager you are able to add different tags (AdWords tracking, remarketing, facebook tracking...) to your site without modifying the code on your site. The analytics code is not needed if you've added the tracking tag through GTM because it will cause double tracking that leads to incorrect results in your reports.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,
Our webmaster revised the tags, would you please check and let me know if it's implemented correctly?

Thank You!