Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Bounce Rate Dropped - Duplicate GA Calls?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a situation where my site saw a dramatic drop in bounce rate. I know this could be due to duplicate instances of UA codes on site, I checked and this wasn't the case. 

bounce rate.pngI tried to do some debugging, but i'm still a novice here. I used the Chrome GA debugger and saw that there were multiple calls for the UA code installed on the website.

Tracker Issue.png

Now, at this point, i'm thinking that the UA script is running twice, which is leading to the decreased bounce rate (but, i'm not sure if my assumptions are correct). 

I used another tool and saw that the 2nd UA call is listed as a 307 redirect. 

observe.png

Before I contact my developer to find out why the UA is being executed twice, I want to be sure that I am interpreting these dashboards correctly. Can someone review and let me know if they've experienced this before and if I am making the proper assumptions?

Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author AMSI M
September 2016

Re: Bounce Rate Dropped - Duplicate GA Calls?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi AMSI,

If you're bounce rate dropped like that there are usually only two things that happen:

1. Duplicate instances of the GATC (It's not always implemented inline and could be called from an external script) you can look at the network tab to see this, use GA debug as you have done and try Tag Assitant in the Chrome store as well.

2. A pageview occurs and then is followed by another hit (usually an event that has not been set to non-interaction) without the user doing anything.

You can use the landing pages report to see if this is across all pages or just the home page, etc.

More resources for you:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/events#non-interaction_even...

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk?h...

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn