7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Blogger Redirect Help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

First let me say, I am a novice GA user and I apologize if this is the wrong category to post this in, but any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated! Smiley Happy

I am a blogger using Google's "Blogger" platform and originally had a url ending in .blogspot.com. I now have purchased a custom domain name. I have created a new property in my GA account and I have the old .blogspot.com URL redirecting to my new custom domain (this is set up via the settings in Blogger) and wanted to make sure that I have GA set up correctly. Is there a way to merge the two properties, as there are many old posts that point to the .blogspot.com URLs which people still use to access my blog. In order to report correctly, will I just need to add the two session numbers together to gain a total number for both URLs? Or is there something else I could do to report correct numbers?

Thanks!

Sarah

Re: Blogger Redirect Help

[ Edited ]
KT
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
KT
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Sarah,

Not to much sure but as per me, - you can usually copy paste the code to old one into new one. Google Analytics does not actually use the domain in the tracking code, unless you are doing special types of tracking, so as long as you are doing regular Analytics tracking, you can simply port over the code.

Take this steps:
1. Update Domain URL in Google Analytics: Account Overview page click Edit alongside the profile on the right hand side
2. Update Google Analytics Profile Names
3. Paste the same tracking code in New pages
4. Check real time data.

Done.

Note: For better practice, Redirect your .blogspot blog to new domain. By following:
After <Head> section of template apply

<script type='text/javascript'>      

var d='<data&colon;blog.url/>'

d=d.replace(/.*\/\/[^\/]*/, '');

location.href = 'http://www.yourdomain.com';  insert your domain here

</script>

My 2 cents!