AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Bizarre! Google Analytics is (inexplicably) still working

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is a weird one: Phantom Tracking Code.

My  http://betweenwars.com  site has been re-built as a new site in Wordpress, which now sits in a completely different directory on the server - and it's live.

I want to set up Google Analytics on that new live version of the site. But what I don't understand is how Google Analytics still seems to be tracking my site, uninterrupted since this new one went live last Saturday 19th March, and the old site which did have tracking code in it is now deleted - gone!

There's no analytics code or files anywhere that I can see in the new site, but Google is still giving me data on it!

Have you any idea what could be going on? I feel as if I've entered the Twilight Zone...

Thanks,
John

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bizarre! Google Analytics is (inexplicably) still working

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi John,

I don't think you are seeing data from your new site. I took a quick peek and there is not a single call out to the collect or utm.gif endpoints.

The other site may be cached or you may just see some spam. You can take a look at the hostnames reports to see from where the data is originates.

Audience>>technology>>Network and then change your primary dimension to hostname.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo,
Thanks for the response, good of you!

It seems to be on 'hostname' already. But I just don't understand how Google can be collecting data when there's no tracking code.

I'm going to try to insert the tracking code on the new site now and see what happens.
Cheers,
John

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi John,

The spam is being sent using the measurement protocol directly to GA, without visits to the site. Here is a great up to date article about removing analytics spam:
http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/
Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Aaaah. I see Arnold.
I have lots of referral filters in place but I may not be doing it the best way - judging from a quick scan of this article. I'll give it a good read and try to implement the recommendations.
Thanks Smiley Wink