Analytics
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Best way to track referrals across account verification emails?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,  I am trying to attribute PPC ads properly through my user registration process, which requires the user to verify their email address through clicking a link in an account verification email.

Currently Google Analytics shows these as new sessions, all being attributed to the mail provider, which means my PPC clicks don't get proper attribution for the referral.

When searching google I came across this article which seems to explain exactly how to solve this issue (I use Universal Analytics via GTM, just as explained in the article), however it's 1.5 years old and I'm wondering if there is a better solution now?  http://www.metricmogul.co.uk/how-to-prevent-verification-emails-screwing-up-your-attribution-in-goog...

Basically the article says to create a custom "utm_nooverride" parameter in GTM and all my email links need to include it as a query parameter.    If this is still the best solution please let me know.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason S
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jason S - indeed utm_nooveride=1 is back in universal analytics though it will work as expected only if a user confirms the sub inside a session. If a user double opts after the initial session has ended then the source will still be assigned to the mail service.

Another way to proceed would be to add a field to set in GTM and force the dr field (document referrer) to a self referring page - only for one specific confirmation page! This can be achieved with a custom js variable.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason S
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jason S - indeed utm_nooveride=1 is back in universal analytics though it will work as expected only if a user confirms the sub inside a session. If a user double opts after the initial session has ended then the source will still be assigned to the mail service.

Another way to proceed would be to add a field to set in GTM and force the dr field (document referrer) to a self referring page - only for one specific confirmation page! This can be achieved with a custom js variable.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net