Analytics
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Best approach to tracking new front page

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

GA beginner here.

My company is in the middle of developing a new front page that will include several new sections that we'd like to start tracking. The sections are "recent purchases" (includes list of links to SKU pages), recommended products (links to product pages/SKUs), and brands (links to existing brand pages).

I initially wanted to track this with events, but seeing how we're mostly interested in tracking clicks only (for now), I was wondering if tagging links on the front page is would suffice. 

If the consensus is that the latter approach suffices, what's best way update the link tags/anatomy?

This an example of a product/SKU link on our website:

SKU: www.[company].com/Catalog/Product/[SKU#]

Product: www.[company].com/Catalog/Products/[Product name]

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mo B
April 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Event tracking would give you an idea.  That said, I would ensure that all pages have the GA code and deploy the new site with good clean html that leverages id attributes.  If each element has a unique id and you enable enhanced link attribution you can use the chrome plugin to see how users are navigating through the site.

More on Enhanced link attribution and the plugin here:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/enhanced-link-attribution

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6047802?hl=en

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mo B
April 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Event tracking would give you an idea.  That said, I would ensure that all pages have the GA code and deploy the new site with good clean html that leverages id attributes.  If each element has a unique id and you enable enhanced link attribution you can use the chrome plugin to see how users are navigating through the site.

More on Enhanced link attribution and the plugin here:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/enhanced-link-attribution

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6047802?hl=en

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Re: Best approach to tracking new front page

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you, Theo! Your answer put me on the right path. 

Best,

Mo

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

No problem.  Also at some point you should consider Enhanced Ecommerce which would give you insight into the recommended products by showing impressions and click through etc.  

Enhanced Ecommerce:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/enhanced-ecommerce

Best,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Theo and other advanced GA users,

I'm convinced Enhanced Link Attribution will be hugely beneficial for our website, but I was wondering if it's still the best tracking approach if the front page content differs from user to user? (e.g. "recent purchases" and the targeted "recommended products").

This means the links will be very user-specific, but I'm assuming they just need to be tagged/attributed appropriately to be content-grouped? 

The jargon as you can see escapes me. In fact, if someone can help me with the right term for how "the link anatomy can be updated to support my request" that would be helpful as well, to further my research. 

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi Mo,

So it's still best to have good clean HTML with Id's and that will give you good in-page data in aggregate.  

You can set custom dimensions based upon your user groups or personas and then create segments for these and overlay them in the Page Analytics plugin.  That said, I'm not sure how that will render as your likely to have your server render whichever version you would see.

As long as your custom dimension groupings aren't too small; you can also use the flow reports to get a feel for how users are navigating and then used sequence based segmenting to see how this drives revenue.  (I know... somewhat complicated.)

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Theo,

Custom dimensions is indeed something I'm looking into right now!

We're definitely going to update our code and include enhanced link attribution to utilize in-page analysis, for the betterment of tracking our website overall. 

To give an idea, the recent path I took, since I started this thread, is Content Grouping using URL extraction to group all the front page analytics. Ultimately I need the data to be a in report I can share with marketing.