Analytics
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Best Way To Track Website Conversions Arriving From Blog Traffic

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I was looking for a bit of advice for tracking conversions from blog traffic.

We are receiving a decent amount of traffic organically from our blog but we have no way of segmenting the data to find out if that traffic is resulting in a conversion on the main website.

Could anyone suggest what could be implemented to help with this? I've read a little bit about content groupings but i'm not sure if that's going to be exactly what we're after.

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Ezdotcom2,

You can simply create a custom segment for users that have either read or landed in the blog and look at their conversions.  A user based segment will let you look at up to 93 consecutive days  to see follow on conversions and a session based segment will let you look at conversions that happen in the same session.

Either way click to create a new segment, select advanced (an either sessions or users) then if you want to see if they touched a blog post at some point, set your dimension to page; if you want users that landed in the blog then select landing page as the dimension.  Next just choose an operator that works for you like "contains" and a pattern to match your blog, e.g. /blog

Something like this (click on this link to open in edit mode in GA):

https://analytics.google.com/analytics/web/template?uid=LMltrVGiTAiW7Oo0biktAQ

More on custom segments:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3124493?hl=en

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @Theo Bennett,

My apologies, i should have added that there is no custom URL structure i.e. /blog for blog posts. They are all on the root url i.e. mydomain.com/blog-article

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

No worries.  I n that case you could do content groupingbut your new pages would have to follow some type of recognizable format unless you use the coding method, which would require your dev team to dynamically use that version of the Google Analytics Tracking code (GATC). 

Another option is to create custom dimensions for page type or author or something and dynamically pass them into the GATC or create the custom dimension(s) and pass them in using data import.  You'll have to wait for new pageviews to happen for them to be "tagged" with the values and you'll have to continously upload your new pages.  

I would have URL structure on your radar for future changes and / or consider going to GTM where your dev team can push the page type into the dataLayer and you could pass them into the GA tags as a concatenation of the URI or as a custom dimension.

For now, you can build segments that contain your pages (hopefully not too many).  Use RegExp as your operator and pipe your pages  e.g. /article1|/article2|articlename3|article 4... etc.  then use the OR operator in the segment builder to add more... yuck.   Smiley Happy

Good luck!

-Theo

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn