AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Behavior Flow report shows some sort of double pageviews when using Google Tag Manager

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are in the process of switching from "normal" Analytics tracking to Google Tag Manager-based tracking.

Therefor, I'm currently running two GA tags on our main production environment. One for the GTM test implementation property and one for the real property.

Everything works fine, except for one thing: The Behavior Flow report in the GTM based test property shows double pageviews, making the report much harder to read.

These screenshots should make the issue more clear:

As you can see, every pageview generates a second pageview with a 100% Through Rate. "Seitentyp" is our content grouping, which is also missing in every second hit.

Apparently, these "phantom" pageviews only happen as soon as I have Event tags fired directly after the initial pageload.

For testing purposes, I had temporarily deactivated every single Event tag in our GTM implementation. After I did that, the faulty pageviews were gone.

But we need these Events for our Enhanced Ecommerce tracking, so removing them is not an option (of course, they are configured as "non-interaction" events).

Any ideas where those pageviews in the Behavior Flow are coming from?

(All other analytics data seems correct, and both our properties (live and test ones) have the same data and the same amount of total pageviews. Only the Behavior Flow seems to be broken.)

Any hints appreciated.

EDIT: Thought I might add the website in question: www.connox.de

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Behavior Flow report shows some sort of double pageviews when using Google Tag Manager

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Matthias B,

Usually the Not Set means that what occurred is not defined in your content grouping. So the User comes in, then something occurs that is not defined in your page grouping so it shows as not set. When you change to Automatically grouped pages does the not set go away?

In this case it sounds like you are moving to Enhanced Ecommerce (or does that exist already outside of GTM) and that's why you are seeing them in the testing Property?

What's strange is that they are showing here as pageviews, that is you don't have events & pageviews selected.

Even in Enhanced Ecommerce data to which I have access I don't see events causing this pageview behavior in the flow report. You say that you are firing an event after pageview, why? Are you waiting for data to be populated to the dataLayer for EECOM? Can you just fire your pageview after all data available (send a custom event and use that as your trigger) and use the Pageview tag with Enhanced EECOM selected?

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Re: Behavior Flow report shows some sort of double pageviews when using Google Tag Manager

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,

Thanks for your reply! Responses see below.

@Theo Bennett wrote:
Hi Matthias B,

Usually the Not Set means that what occurred is not defined in your content grouping. So the User comes in, then something occurs that is not defined in your page grouping so it shows as not set. When you change to Automatically grouped pages does the not set go away?

When I look at the "automatically grouped pages", the data seems to be correct. No more 'not set', and the data is almost exactly the same as in our "real" Analytics property.

In this case it sounds like you are moving to Enhanced Ecommerce (or does that exist already outside of GTM) and that's why you are seeing them in the testing Property?

We are moving to Enhanced Ecommerce (and in the process, also to Google Tag Manager). In our older, "real" Analytics property without GTM, we are only tracking very limited Ecommerce data.

What's strange is that they are showing here as pageviews, that is you don't have events & pageviews selected.

Even in Enhanced Ecommerce data to which I have access I don't see events causing this pageview behavior in the flow report. You say that you are firing an event after pageview, why? Are you waiting for data to be populated to the dataLayer for EECOM? Can you just fire your pageview after all data available (send a custom event and use that as your trigger) and use the Pageview tag with Enhanced EECOM selected?

Due to the way how pages are rendered in our (proprietary) shop system, we can't push Product Impressions to the Data Layer before we fire the Pageview. (Most other data is available, but not the Product Impressions.)

So for the Product Impressions to be properly tracked, we have to fire an event after the page has finished rendering.

Well, and I suspect that this is the reason for the faulty data in the Behavior Flow .... but I think it shouldn't be... and I don't know how to fix it.

If you have any other ideas, let me know.

Best regards,

Matthias

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I just realized, in our main "Pageview" tag in Google Tag Manager, I had the "Enhanced Ecommerce" checkbox activated, even though we don't actually send Ecommerce Data with the Pageview.

But this shouldn't cause any problems, right?

I have deactivated it now, since all the Ecommerce data is sent with Events anyway.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Mattias,

What kind of latency do you have before product impressions are ready? Is it too long to just wait to fire the pageview tag? Basically the default GTM implementation is to send the impression and other eecom data with the pageview so when your data is ready, you could fire a custom event to the dataLayer and use that as your pageview trigger (instead of gtm.js which is the default pageview) and just use events for what you normally would: Add to cart, product clicks, promo clicks, etc..

Best,

Theo
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo,

the problem is that I need a custom Javascript to scrape the whole webpage after rendering, and gather all the Product and Promotion Impressions, and then send that to the dataLayer. (Our shop system doesn't support any other way of preparing said data.)

Currently, this custom js is loaded from within Tag Manager (I could have also put it directly into our webpage, but Tag Manager makes updating/deploying more convenient).
It uses JQuery to easily gather all Product/Promotion Impressions, put them into the dataLayer and then push a custom event into the dataLayer which triggers the Ecommerce Tracking.

I guess I could change this, so that my script instead triggers the main Pageview, instead of a non-interaction event. I'm not sure what kind of latency this would cause. Anyway, I'll talk about it with our marketing and maybe test it.

I still think this shouldn't really be necessary, since all other data in Analytics is already correct. The only thing that seems kind of bugged is the Behavior Flow (with the Content Grouping option)... Looks really strange to me.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Hi Matthias B,

Ouch, If there is no other way, then so be it. Smiley Happy

So while you are waiting for the dataLayer to be created are you firing a pageview then firing another to carry the eecom data? Or are you just waiting for the dataLayer to complete then firing the pageview to carry the eecom data and pageview together?

That's the only thing else that I can think of ... Smiley Happy

Hope that helps....

Best,

Theo
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So while you are waiting for the dataLayer to be created are you firing a pageview then firing another to carry the eecom data?

Basically, yes. But instead of firing a second pageview, we fire a non-interaction event. A second pageview would be troublesome of course, because it would distort our pageview data...

Or are you just waiting for the dataLayer to complete then firing the pageview to carry the eecom data and pageview together?

This is what I will probably try in the future. Although I'm a bit worried about the latency.

Thanks for your help! If you have any other ideas, or maybe someone else around here, I'd appreciate it.

For now, I'm waiting for new information from our marketing department.

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
Hi Matthias,

I'd be concerned too, so why don't you deploy it in the pageview (change the trigger to your custom event when the dataLayer is complete) and then compare to your normal deployment and see how much (if any) data you are missing.

If you're not comfortable with the data loss (if any) then it sounds like you have a workable solution and the one quirk on the behavior flow report is worth the extra data you'll get from Enhanced Ecommerce.

Best,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn