AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Been sending Custom Dimensions for a month, forgot to define them in control panel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have been supplying Google Analytics with Custom Dimensions data for a month and forgot to define them in the property beforehand.  Is there any chance Google collected this data and we could view it?  I'm guessing not, but it would be super helpful if they somehow collected it despite it not being pre-defined in the Property settings within the Google Analytics control panel.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sean K
October 2016

Been sending Custom Dimensions for a month, forgot to define them in control panel

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sean, unfortunately I don think you can expect any data to be available. You can at least try to create one of the custom dimensions but I really doubt there is any chance the data will appear.

I have seen some instances where content grouping behaved in a way where event though a CG was not defined at first data was collected, processed and reported (tracking code implementation).

Kind regards,

Zorin 

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sean K
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sean, unfortunately I don think you can expect any data to be available. You can at least try to create one of the custom dimensions but I really doubt there is any chance the data will appear.

I have seen some instances where content grouping behaved in a way where event though a CG was not defined at first data was collected, processed and reported (tracking code implementation).

Kind regards,

Zorin 

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That's what I was afraid of.  We did set up the Dimensions today, but looks like we lost 2 months of data.  The only good news is we should be able to generate the data using other page view data.  Thanks for your attention to this matter.