Analytics
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Bad idea to set GA ClientID with our own server side UUID to tie GMP hits to ga.js hits?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our analytics setup prior to me was configured to set the clientID using our own server side UUID. In tag manager the 'fields to set' section sets clientID with our own UUID:

Is it a bad idea to overwrite the value of the default cID from the _ga cookie? This was done to link hits between measurement protocol and ga.js. I do notice some sessions in the user explorer view where the client id format is 32-bit integers in the format of "X.Y". Where it looks like our UUID failed to overwrite the values. This is a very small portion. 

Is our current setup a bad idea for any reason?

Similar question here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29203622/sharing-google-analytics-clientid-between-javascript-cli...

1. Create a clientid on the server and then share it with the client; or
  2. Should I let the javascript on the client create the clientid and then try to share it with my server? (I suspect this is the better answer)

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Will M
October 2016

Bad idea to set GA ClientID with our own server side UUID to tie GMP hits to ga.js hits?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Will,

You have two choices to make this setup work:

1 Collect the cid from GA and pass back to your backend systems and use the cid for your MP hits

2 Lookup your own user id and set it for GA and use it for MP

Your company has taken option 2, while I don't like this approach; there is nothing inherently wrong with it as along as your implementation is bulletproof and you can always set it.

Unless its a brand new site, I generally prefer to use GA's cid values and just set the userid as the user id field AND set it as a custom dimension. That way you can maintain the history of the user and have a second key in both datasets (the cid gets stored and used for MP pushes).

If you go back now, just know that you will have a rash of new users and attribution will be shaky for a while.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Will M
October 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Will,

You have two choices to make this setup work:

1 Collect the cid from GA and pass back to your backend systems and use the cid for your MP hits

2 Lookup your own user id and set it for GA and use it for MP

Your company has taken option 2, while I don't like this approach; there is nothing inherently wrong with it as along as your implementation is bulletproof and you can always set it.

Unless its a brand new site, I generally prefer to use GA's cid values and just set the userid as the user id field AND set it as a custom dimension. That way you can maintain the history of the user and have a second key in both datasets (the cid gets stored and used for MP pushes).

If you go back now, just know that you will have a rash of new users and attribution will be shaky for a while.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,

Thank you for your response. One of our issues is the MP push usually happens prior to a session on our site. We are using the MP pushes for our pdf files linked to from other sites. We have a redirect on the url we give our partners and fire the MP hit. So at this point we don't have GA's client ID. 

We also don't necessarily have a userID value as I understand it. What we are setting for the cid is just a randomly generated GUID that doesn't track users across devices.

Also had a random thought, could this screw up the re marketing feature at all?

Any advice or input?

I kindly appreciate your response.