AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Augmenting Demographics Data

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I am tracking some funnels in which users are providing their demographics data as part of their order/contract. Since google analytics uses double click cookies which are essentially a probabilistic model my data is of higher quality.

Is there some method to report the real data so it can be used in google analytic's demographics and other reports.

P.S. I am familiar with custom variables - however, they are of limited use in this situation.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Augmenting Demographics Data

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Oren,

Why do you think custom dimensions would be of limited use here? It seems to be best practice in your situation to set user-scope custom dimensions in your order funnel.

Christoph

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

re Christoph:

The reasons are:

There is a very limited number of custom dimension.

Google has already allocated dimensions in it schema for this data.

Also there is no way to use this data in the same segments or in existing dashboard widget.

Using custom dimensions in this case is basicaly rolling a second demographics solution inside analytics which seems like a big waste, particularly since were are only capturing a subset of the data for a subset of the users.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Oren,

Oh, I just thought you wanted to compare your internal demographics with the GA demographics data.

Wheras you can't actually replace the data in the GA demographics report – if you store your internal demographics in user-scope custom dimensions you always can set up custom reports or segments using the corresponding dimensions 'custom variable (key/value 1)' etc.

If I remember well, custom dimensions are restricted to the number of 20 for non-premium GA users currently. Isn't that sufficient to set up demographic dimensions like gender, age etc.?

Christoph