AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Assigning User IDs without authentification or login

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello everyone. So today I finally realized that the infamous User IDs only work with login functions... great. My client wants to track the path of users that sumbit a specific form. If we can assign those users, or all users, a random unique ID, we were hoping to trace back their path to see where they have come from or what they have been doing on the website.

Is there a way to assign random IDs to all users, or to those who submit a form (preferrably), for example by combining an IP, location, date, etc? Can we use these IDs to isolate their paths? I'd like to hear concrete ideas and practices, thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Paulien,

The actual purpose of GA User ID is cross-platform tracking. You can use a custom dimension to achieve you want to do.

You can create a custom dimension and assign "Form Users" as a value for this custom dimension. Then you will cluster all the user who used the form and you can do your analysis.

If you want to analyse each specific user who uses the form, then you can assign a unique number as your custom dimension value(such as "formUser:1234").

You can read more about custom dimensions through following links:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2709828?hl=en

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/custom-dims-mets

I hope this helps.

Regards

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Paulien,

@Gny gave you good advice.  Custom dimensions are the way to go or even ecommerce tracking.  That said, under no circumstances should you pass the IP address (in any form; concatenated with something else, etc.) into GA, that would be considered PII and a violation of section 7 of the Terms of Service.  

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn