AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Are there issues running Classic Analytics and Universal Analytics on same property?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Parts of my site are running Classic Analytics (ga.js) and newer parts are running Universal Analytics (analytics.js), with the latter going through Google Tag Manager (GTM). Both ga.js and analytics.js are sending data to the same GA Property.

Should I be worried about sessions or users getting duplicated/split in GA whenever they navigate from one part of the site to another?

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Are there issues running Classic Analytics and Universal Analytics on same property?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi, as long as you're not sending both types of hits on the same page, you'll be fine Smiley Very Happy

Unless you have a good reason to retain usage of the "old" ga.js code, and especially since you're using Google Tag Manager, you are strongly encouraged to retire the old code and deploy Universal Analytics across the site using GTM.
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Re: Are there issues running Classic Analytics and Universal Analytics on same property?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Julien, thanks for the quick reply :-)

I'm only using one tracker library per page (either ga.js or analytics.js), so they will never overlap on the same page. When going from pages that have one library versus the other, does GA know to properly attribute the hit to the same User/Client ID?

Since I recall reading somewhere that the libraries have very different ways of identifying anonymous users.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
there is no notion of user id in classic GA. Classic users are identified by the utm cookies so Universal tries its best to do "session stitching".
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes, apologies for the confusion, I was not referring to the User ID one can explicitly set in Universal Analytics, but rather the method that GA uses to identify anonymous clients.

When I inspect the network calls for Universal Analytics, I see a Client ID parameter ("cid"), but I think Classic Analytics uses a "_utma" parameter instead.

So let's say a user first visits a Universal Analytics page and they get a "cid" value. Then, they visit a Classic Analytics page and get a "_utma" value. Since Classic Analytics does not read the "cid" and Universal Analytics never set a "_utma" in the first place, can GA associate both hits to the same client?

Are there issues running Classic Analytics and Universal Analytics on same property?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In our account (we also have mix of classic and Universal).  If I add custom dimensions that only exist in Universal, all entries from Classic tag disappear, not sure if anyone had the same issue?