Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Analytics stopped reporting revenue sales £ after Google Rep advises code change

Not applicable
# 1
Not applicable

3 months ago In November during a long consultation with Google, the rep concluded that our tracking coded in website (which had worked just fine) wasn't quite right and gave us a new one to instll on the sales "thanks.php" page, Since then, although analytics works OK, £0.00 sales are being reported since and also our bounce rate for "Paid Search" has rocketed from around 30% to 90%

After being unable to fathom it out myself, many emails, tel calls of complaint to Google has resulted in nothing but wasting hours complaining as no-one will take responsibility or help, so I have approached consultants to try to fix it. They have given us various amended codes to insert, but still nothing happens!

The last code they told me to add is to list in a script all of our products I can't believe this is required as before we changed the code it was simple as follows:

<script type="text/javascript">

var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl.URL REMOVED" : "http://www.URL REMOVED");

document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));

</script>

<script type="text/javascript">

try {

var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-*******-2");

pageTracker._trackPageview();

} catch(err) {}</script>

</body>

So, we have around 30 products, each one different price.

Exactly WHAT needs to be in the "thanks.php" page to get this working?

our shopping cart is by ecommercetemplates.com

When we change this code to a specific code required to track £sales of every item and not just a general one using the required PHP from our shopping cart developer ( Ecommercetemplates) whatever we do generates a red tag and major fault. See this link and post from 23/02/16 re: PHP version: https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=101352

Is this required?

Thanks if anyone can shed some light on this as feeling totally beaten after months of trying to fix this!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Analytics stopped reporting revenue sales £ after Google Rep advises code change

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

That code behind the link is for AdWords conversion tracking.

If I read correctly your current data has not been valid for some time now.... This could be a good time to upgrade your overall tracking.

It requires coding and unrestricted access to page templates. If that is possible I would recommend that you take Google Tag Manager in use. Basically it works the same way than the GA installation now: You place 1-2 pieces of code to every page you have. Difference is that it gives you lot more flexibility to do future changes.

To get those transactions you need to have the information about the transaction in your thank you page source code in section called dataLayer. It is a structure where you place your pieces of information that can be then passed to Google Analytics.

Let me know if you would whether upgrade or fix the existing one? Please note that your current tracking is the legacy version...

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Re: Analytics stopped reporting revenue sales £ after Google Rep advises code change

Not applicable
# 3
Not applicable

Hi. Thanks for your reply.

I'm happy to upgrade as required to get the best solution that works. Since we changed the code as per Google rep, no sales £0 are showing in analytics!

What is the best way to proceed? What do we need to put in every webpage. We can easily add/replace existing codes.

Thanks. Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

To summarize:

x) Create a new property in GA for migration

1) You get yourself a Google Tag Manager account https://www.google.com/analytics/tag-manager/

2) You create an Account and a Container

3) You get the tag code (notice that it is separated in 2 pieces)

4) Install the code to your website

5) Create basic tags (for page views and events)

6) Populate dataLayer in your thank you page

7) Add ECom tracking

8) Add a tags to all other functionalities that you need

It is a short and simple list but I'm not going to lie to you: It is going to take some work to get it up and running.

The good thing is that you can build this right next to your current tracking (even though the ECom numbers are incorrect I would imagine that you want to keep tracking your users normally and without breaks)

Can I ping you to your info mail? this might get lengthy and if you need help with your setup you might want not to post everything here... 

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.