Analytics
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Analytics shows web pages from another website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

First time here!

I have an issue that I can't get to the bottom of. I have been using google analytics loosely for years and as such have added a number of accounts for different webpages I have worked on.

The weird thing is that under 1 of  my accounts, (and typically the most important one!) when you go into Behaviour->Site Content->All pages some of the pages shown are for other sites (accounts) that I have for google analytics.

I have checked and both the sites have to correct tracking code (which is of course different for each).

Does anyone have any idea how I can get to the bottom of this?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pete K
April 2017

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Guys, that's been a great help. After installing Tag Assistant, I located where within the 1a wordpress backend the code for the other site had been incorrectly put. 

I have now deleted it out. Do you happen to know how long it will take for the 1a data to disappear from the terrykirkwood.co.uk analytics, or will it be a case of, from today 1a dat will no longer show on the TK analytics pages?

Thanks again to both of you - I have learnt an awful lot from you both!

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Pete,

Why don't you start by pulling in a secondary dimension of Hostname to the report.  This will give you some context as from which domains these pages are coming. 

There are only two ways for this data to get to your reports. 

1.  The site has the GA code for the property you are viewing. 

2.  Someone has sent the data using the measurement protocol.

If you have #2 and are truly seeing pages from rogue sites, you'll need to deploy filters to clean this up.  Start with an include based on your hostname(s) and then move on to exclude filters based upon whichever dimension allows you to remove the noise. 

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Theo - that's really helpful. Since I'm relatively new to using analytics your answer was a little confusing!

I think it is situation 2, so I created 2 filters, one to only include pages from the correct domain, then setup another which excluded the domain of the site I don't want there (there is a 2nd domain I don't want there too, but I'll come back to that).

However, when I go into Behaviour->Site Content->All pages the rogue pages are still there.

Is there a way that i need to turn these filters on?

I've taken some screenshots here to show the include filter, the exclude filter and the rogue hostnames that are showing.

http://www.petekirkwood.co.uk/analytics-issue/

Any ideas?

Thanks again!

p

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Pete,

First, make sure you always keep an unfiltered view for raw data. Second, i recommend that you create a new testing view where you tinker with your filters, get them right and then promote them to your analysis view(s).

Lastly, your filter should be custom instead of predefined, you should use hostname as the dimension and the pattern should be something like this peterkirkwood\.co\.uk

Cheers,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks again very much! I really appreciate your help!

OK I've tried to do that, but it then shows nothing.

So i did it only with the include and it still shows nothing.

I tried the Verify filter option and it says it is unavailable at the moment.

Also, weirdly on the unfiltered view it says there has been NO visitors at all since apr 14 - that can't be right - we have never had that.... I'm very confused!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Your 1aproductions website has the GA code twice, with different numbers. You're sending your GA data to both accounts directly from the website.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Hey Pete,

Check out what Jay said, I'm not sure if that's your site but if you are trying to push data to two accounts, you need to customize your code and name your second tracker (if you haven't) or the second will fail.   That could explain your lack of data.  That said, it could be faulty filters but you should have some data in your unfiltered view (you did not apply a filter here, did you?).

If you want to send to two trackers, then follow these steps for inline GA coding:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/creating-trackers#working_w...

Cheers,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

P.S.  Shoot over to the Chrome store and install the Tag Assistant from Google, then browse your pages and it will give you a pretty good idea of how data collection is working. 

-Theo

Connect on LinkedIn
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pete K
April 2017

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Guys, that's been a great help. After installing Tag Assistant, I located where within the 1a wordpress backend the code for the other site had been incorrectly put. 

I have now deleted it out. Do you happen to know how long it will take for the 1a data to disappear from the terrykirkwood.co.uk analytics, or will it be a case of, from today 1a dat will no longer show on the TK analytics pages?

Thanks again to both of you - I have learnt an awful lot from you both!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It doesn't disappear - it will always be there. It only affects data collection from now on.