Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Analytics only detecting bots

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I know this is such a general question but my analytics is only detecting what appear to be bots. A week or so ago I made a small site and added a tracking code of my google analytics account. Back then nobody visited the site as it was still under construction and my overview of visitors only showed two visitors which were clearly bots. Nothing strange yet.

However, the last day or two I've had friends check out the site so I am certain that people are visiting it. My google analytics is still only showing these two bots and nothing else, though. I went to admin -> tracking info -> tracking code and sent some test traffic. This seemed to be working. I think I even see my friends as active users here (although I'm not 100% sure. maybe it's my open tabs I closed some time ago?)

In my stats I see nothing though. Just the two bots. Is there a lag between the visit and when it shows up in your stats? If so, is that lag several days? I honestly don't know what to check for or what to provide as extra information. I am actually a webdeveloper and have implemented google analyics in literally 100ths of sites without an issue and this is the first time I've encountered this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ruben _
February 2017

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

what is your site url?  what are the bots? are you referring to analytics spam/ghost visits?  

Oh and make sure you are looking at the Real Time report when testing, that is very helpful to see your visit immediately.  Also, change the calendar to "Today" as it defaults to last 7 days and does not include current date. Data is usually a few hours behind real time as well.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ruben _
February 2017

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

what is your site url?  what are the bots? are you referring to analytics spam/ghost visits?  

Oh and make sure you are looking at the Real Time report when testing, that is very helpful to see your visit immediately.  Also, change the calendar to "Today" as it defaults to last 7 days and does not include current date. Data is usually a few hours behind real time as well.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey, this is the same person as in the original post but with my other google account. I read your answer right before going to bed and marked your answer a little too soon it seems. I changed the filter to "Today" like you said and thought my problem was solved because I saw more sessions. However, it seems this didn't solve my issue, after all. The extra session which seemed like a genuine person was actually just me. I'm not sure if I should make a new topic or if you could continue helping me in this thread; I've never used the Google support forums before. I'll give some more info in this post about my issue in any case.

The real time report does seem to show when someone is on my page. When I was sharing the site I saw one or two active users on there. The general overview, even when set to "Today" seems to be ingoring my friends, though.

If at all possible I'd rather not share the site as it's meant to be semi-personal. However, I can tell you that I pasted the tracking code in the head section of my html and there is no other Javascript on my site at the moment so conflicting code is out. (I assume the testing would fail anyway if this were the case, right?) The tracking code is also on every page.

The bots might be just that, yes, I'm not sure. It were two sessions of 0 seconds that bounced right away 3 days ago and then again 2 days ago They came from the US and China and I think were something from bloomberg.com. Seemed like bots to me. I certainly didn't share the site with anyone from these countries, nor is it linked anywhere on the web.

I'm not sure if it's relevelant but the Google Analytics was made on a brand new gmail account. I don't know what else could be important to know.