Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Analysing the implementation of a prospective client

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How would you analyse the website of a potential client if you didn't have access to their GA? What would you look for? What tools would you use?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Analysing the implementation of a prospective client

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Graham M,

I can only speak to my experiences, but hopefully others can contribute as well.

The question you pose is fairly broad - what would you analyse, in the absence of GA. First of all, you need to have an objective of your analysis. Are you investigating a site to help with tracking, or for gleaning KPIs, or for potential analytics implementation. I'm going to just throw out to you everything that I can think of off the top of my head, so there may be little rhyme or reason to what I'm sharing with you. I usually audit sites to prepare for implementation. Some times we don't have access to GA either. You could first of all do a visual investigation of the site. Check for things you can track through events, goals, and custom dimensions and metrics. Are there logins and registrations that could be tracked as goals, do they have videos they want to track, social sites, downloads, is their site subdivided into specific categories and subcategories, is there site ecommerce based, do they have multiple subdomains or cross-domains to track, would they benefit from content groupings. Once you have a good list of things you could potentially implement, you can then think of ways in which you can structure their accounts - if multiple subdomains, then do you want to do roll-up reporting. If so, do you want one property per subdomain, or do you want one view per subdomain, etc.

Finally, you could use a third-party tool to do a site scan for you to gauge the health of their tracking code and also the extent of their tracking (are they missing tracking code on some pages, do they have multiple codes on a page, are they using a tag management system, etc.).

Anyway, I trust you can get something out of this. Feel free to post back if you have more questions.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Well first I would use tag inspector to see which pages of GTM (not free).

If you dont mind going page by page I would use Tag Assistant(free).

The best tool is your browsers developer tools. I recommend chrome or firefox. If you use firefox get HTTP Fox and firebug.

Now in developer tools you want to select the filter option and then type in the the search box "UA-". This will only bring up google analytics hits. Using this you can see if the page is firing a pageview, which account it sends it too, any custom dimension they may have set up and any small errors.

You can also use dev tools to track events, ecommerce etc.

Very useful to see if the client's GA is doing what it is meant to do.

Looking at the source code for code implementation issues they client may have.