AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Aggregating tracking info for two different domains

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I know about cross domain tracking, but I have a client who has two separate domains each of which resolve to the same content. He wants to aggregate the GA tracking info for the two domains under the same report. Can we just use the same tracking code for both?

I am aware that having two domains pointing to identical content is likely to lead to a watering down of search engine hits, page ranking etc but at the moment the client definitely wants to keep this setup rather than picking a primary domain and having the second domain redirect to it.

Cheers!

Janet

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Janet B
November 2015

Re: Aggregating tracking info for two different domains

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Janet,

you could basically use the same code for both. In this case your best 'friends' will probably be additional views and view filters.
1. View for domain A data
2. View for domain B data
3. View for combined data
4. View for combined data where you apply Add hostname to Request URI filter - so instead of /mypage you will see domain.com/mypage
5. Raw view (no filter)
6. Test view (playground)

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Janet B
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Janet,

you could basically use the same code for both. In this case your best 'friends' will probably be additional views and view filters.
1. View for domain A data
2. View for domain B data
3. View for combined data
4. View for combined data where you apply Add hostname to Request URI filter - so instead of /mypage you will see domain.com/mypage
5. Raw view (no filter)
6. Test view (playground)

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Janet,

you can go for the path Zorin pointed out above - provided that your users don't ever go from one to the other of your two domains. In that case, two separate sessions would be registered for that user which would confound your data. Then, cross-domain tracking would be indispensable.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Zorin, I agree about the views, they will help us make sense of the data.

Janet

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph, if I have understood the situation correctly then there is no way to move between the domains once you have come to the site using one, you stay with it, so it sounds as if it should be straightforward.

Thanks for your help!

Janet