Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Add GTM (+GA) script on external site?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We would like to track conversions that are completed on an external site.
So Website A is tracked with GTM & GA --> Buy click is redirected to external site --> External site has thank you page where we can place script.

Can we simply add our same GTM script on the external site thank you page? And there place Analytics tracking and therefore track conversions?

- Is this possible above?
- Can we also implement E-commerce tracking script via GTM on the external thank you page.

Obviously this would be done with Cross Domain Tracking, not a problem, but is there anything else we should think about when trying to track conversions + dynamic values on external thank you page?

Thank you!!
1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

There's no reason why this should not work. As you quite rightly say, cross domain tracking will be required. At this stage, I'd simply recommend going for it and then testing the hell out of it before you go live. You definitely want to be able to run test transactions before you go live. Be on the look out for new sessions being triggered, and attribution being only given to the referring site.  If you have total development access to the site, then you should be able to add GTM, as well as the ecommerce datalayer pushes this requires. 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are not allowed to put GTM on the external site thank you page. However Analytics script is OK. Can we simply put our hardcoded analytics script there (customize for cross domain) + ecommerce script. In this way the "real" website will have GTM while external will have analytics + ecommerce hardcoded. This wouldn't be a problem would it? Thanks

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I think what a simple solution is to make a simple redirect your extranal page to your own Site where gtm is installed after transaction is complete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Not allowed to do that. Only allowed to place hardcoded script on external page (Not GTM though).

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Then you can use of measurement protocol for ecommerce .Consult your developer for this.