Analytics
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

About redirection and property settings

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi to everyone,

I have 2 new domains  A (e.g. www.example.com.eu) and B (www.example.eu). I have already created a property for domain A but I have now decided to keep live only domain B, and redirect instantly whoever types the address of domain A to domain B. I have some questions I want to clarify..

1) Can I use just the same tracking code on domain B instead of creating a new property/view?

2) Will something get affected if I change the default URL under the property and view settings?

3) How can I track traffic that comes from users typing domain A?

Thanks for your time,

V.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: About redirection and property settings

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Vasilis K,

It can be achieved using .htaccess on domain A where you can do a 301 redirect to domain B including UTM parameters. For example - 

RewriteRule ^$ http://www.domainb.com/?utm_source=redirects&utm_medium=domainb.com&utm_campaign=301_Redirects [R=301,L]

About properties, is any there specific reason you want to use the same old tracking code?

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Re: About redirection and property settings

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

1. Yes you can use same code from A. for B.
2. Nothing unintended will happen apart from them becoming the new default as planned
3. If you have used a 301 from A. to B.and want to measure those then I think that is what @Ratan-Jha is answering in the post below.

If you liked my answer best please 'mark as best answer' if I was helpful but not the best please 'star' - if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply.

You can find me here: Twitter @iamreasonable | www.onlineassetpartners.co.nz | www.cranwell.co