AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

About redirection and property settings

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi to everyone,

I have 2 new domains  A (e.g. www.example.com.eu) and B (www.example.eu). I have already created a property for domain A but I have now decided to keep live only domain B, and redirect instantly whoever types the address of domain A to domain B. I have some questions I want to clarify..

1) Can I use just the same tracking code on domain B instead of creating a new property/view?

2) Will something get affected if I change the default URL under the property and view settings?

3) How can I track traffic that comes from users typing domain A?

Thanks for your time,

V.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: About redirection and property settings

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Vasilis K,

It can be achieved using .htaccess on domain A where you can do a 301 redirect to domain B including UTM parameters. For example - 

RewriteRule ^$ http://www.domainb.com/?utm_source=redirects&utm_medium=domainb.com&utm_campaign=301_Redirects [R=301,L]

About properties, is any there specific reason you want to use the same old tracking code?

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Re: About redirection and property settings

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

1. Yes you can use same code from A. for B.
2. Nothing unintended will happen apart from them becoming the new default as planned
3. If you have used a 301 from A. to B.and want to measure those then I think that is what @Ratan-Jha is answering in the post below.

If you liked my answer best please 'mark as best answer' if I was helpful but not the best please 'star' - if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply.

You can find me here: Twitter @iamreasonable | www.onlineassetpartners.co.nz | www.cranwell.co