About redirection and property settings
Hi to everyone,
I have 2 new domains A (e.g. www.example.com.eu) and B (www.example.eu). I have already created a property for domain A but I have now decided to keep live only domain B, and redirect instantly whoever types the address of domain A to domain B. I have some questions I want to clarify..
1) Can I use just the same tracking code on domain B instead of creating a new property/view?
2) Will something get affected if I change the default URL under the property and view settings?
3) How can I track traffic that comes from users typing domain A?
Thanks for your time,
Re: About redirection and property settings
Hi @Vasilis K,
It can be achieved using .htaccess on domain A where you can do a 301 redirect to domain B including UTM parameters. For example -
RewriteRule ^$ http://www.domainb.com/?utm_source=redirects&utm_medium=domainb.com&utm_campaign=301_Redirects [R=301,L]
About properties, is any there specific reason you want to use the same old tracking code?
About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.
Re: About redirection and property settings[ Edited ]
November 2015 - last edited November 2015
1. Yes you can use same code from A. for B.
2. Nothing unintended will happen apart from them becoming the new default as planned
3. If you have used a 301 from A. to B.and want to measure those then I think that is what @Ratan-Jha is answering in the post below.
If you liked my answer best please 'mark as best answer' if I was helpful but not the best please 'star' - if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply.