AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

AMP Implementation - Issues if I don't use a separate property?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I understand the best practice with Google Analytics and AMP is to create a separate property for the AMP pages. I'm not quite understanding the ramifications of that.

We have e-commerce tracking, about 20 goals, cross-domain support, etc. all setup in our existing property/view. If we setup a separate property for AMP how is all that going to work? 

And if we don't setup a separate property for AMP what are the ramifications?

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lloyd S
December 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

It has to do with the way Google Analytics tracks users on AMP vs normal pages.  There is a brilliant explanation of the issues you are facing and a complex but functional workaround at Simo Ahava's blog https://www.simoahava.com/analytics/accelerated-mobile-pages-via-google-tag-manager/#clientid

However, before you engage in a complex workaround, I recommend setting up AMP in a separate property and watching how much traffic actually hits these pages before worrying about incorporating this into your current tracking.  I've recommended in several cases to use UTM variables (see Google's Campaign Builder - I've done it programmatic ally) and build custom links from AMP to the main site using source "amp" and medium either "organic" or "cpc" depending on if the AMP page is served up as a final URL from an ad campaign or is reached organically.  This will show you the impact of your AMP content without the heavy rewiring.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lloyd S
December 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

It has to do with the way Google Analytics tracks users on AMP vs normal pages.  There is a brilliant explanation of the issues you are facing and a complex but functional workaround at Simo Ahava's blog https://www.simoahava.com/analytics/accelerated-mobile-pages-via-google-tag-manager/#clientid

However, before you engage in a complex workaround, I recommend setting up AMP in a separate property and watching how much traffic actually hits these pages before worrying about incorporating this into your current tracking.  I've recommended in several cases to use UTM variables (see Google's Campaign Builder - I've done it programmatic ally) and build custom links from AMP to the main site using source "amp" and medium either "organic" or "cpc" depending on if the AMP page is served up as a final URL from an ad campaign or is reached organically.  This will show you the impact of your AMP content without the heavy rewiring.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you.  I read the article and while it was very informative I think it highlights the need to find an expert to help with this implementation.