Analytics
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

2 Google Analytics Tags in Google Tag Manager for different properties

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

We have two Google Analtics tags on our website (for main and testing properties).

Google tag Assistant advices to optimize it and compile multiple GA tags.

As far as I get from manual, compiling two properties in GTM is not as simple as via code (when only extra string is needed). It needs dataLayer or Lookup table creation.

Did anyone ever met an issue like this? How did you cope with situation? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anna A
May 2016

Re: 2 Google Analytics Tags in Google Tag Manager for different properties

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Anna,

If you truly want to send data to two properties then you don't need to take any action. If; however, you only want to fire one or the other conditionally (like -1 for production and -2 for dev) then the cleanest thing would be to do a lookup table as you mentioned. Another option would be to add blocking rules (exceptions) so that the tags do not fire in the corresponding environments.

From your post, it sounds like you intend to track in two properties so, most likely, no action is required.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anna A
May 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Anna,

If you truly want to send data to two properties then you don't need to take any action. If; however, you only want to fire one or the other conditionally (like -1 for production and -2 for dev) then the cleanest thing would be to do a lookup table as you mentioned. Another option would be to add blocking rules (exceptions) so that the tags do not fire in the corresponding environments.

From your post, it sounds like you intend to track in two properties so, most likely, no action is required.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
That's right, I need to send data to 2 properties.
Thank you very much! Smiley Happy