Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

2 GA accounts, same site: 1 in GTM & 1 Hard-Coded

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a client site that has multiple agencies working on different projects for them. For the sake of keeping this easy to follow, let's say I work for Agency A and the other is Agency B. I'm new to Agency A and have realized that my agency added GTM code for Agency B. Agency B then installed a different version of Google Analytics from what we use. So now we have Agency B Google Analytics via GTM and Agency A analytics hard-coded on the site. 

My question is...would there be concerns with this setup? I'm still trying to uncover the reason for having two accounts, but in the meantime, I wanted to figure out if there is an issue with this or not. I know Universal allows multiple versions of analytics.js, but does it create any issues?  The main thing I do know it will impact is the event tracking since Agency A has some hard-coded while Agency B is using GTM.  Is that the only area where we'd see issues or is there more that I'm not considering?

Thanks in advance!

Re: 2 GA accounts, same site: 1 in GTM & 1 Hard-Coded

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
reference:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1032400?hl=en

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/creating-trackers#working_w...

As long as you have created two separate trackers, it is fine.

GTM has its unique tracker name, so it should be fine.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the response. Good to know that GTM creates a unique tracker name.

For the last part of my question on the events that are in GTM and manually tagged, will that be an issue?

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
I don't think it will have an issue with event tracking