AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

2 GA accounts, same site: 1 in GTM & 1 Hard-Coded

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a client site that has multiple agencies working on different projects for them. For the sake of keeping this easy to follow, let's say I work for Agency A and the other is Agency B. I'm new to Agency A and have realized that my agency added GTM code for Agency B. Agency B then installed a different version of Google Analytics from what we use. So now we have Agency B Google Analytics via GTM and Agency A analytics hard-coded on the site. 

My question is...would there be concerns with this setup? I'm still trying to uncover the reason for having two accounts, but in the meantime, I wanted to figure out if there is an issue with this or not. I know Universal allows multiple versions of analytics.js, but does it create any issues?  The main thing I do know it will impact is the event tracking since Agency A has some hard-coded while Agency B is using GTM.  Is that the only area where we'd see issues or is there more that I'm not considering?

Thanks in advance!

Re: 2 GA accounts, same site: 1 in GTM & 1 Hard-Coded

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
reference:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1032400?hl=en

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/creating-trackers#working_w...

As long as you have created two separate trackers, it is fine.

GTM has its unique tracker name, so it should be fine.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the response. Good to know that GTM creates a unique tracker name.

For the last part of my question on the events that are in GTM and manually tagged, will that be an issue?

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
I don't think it will have an issue with event tracking