Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

15% eCommerce Transactions are Missing in Google Analytics, How to Fix?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Experts, 

I'm facing issue of missing eCommerce transactions in analytics. About 15% of online transactions are not tracked in GA. I'm not sure what can be reason. 

I've triggered GA Transaction tag on thanks (order confirmation) page. Where trigger type is pageview and trigger fires on url contains "thanks" word. 

Can some one please help me for fixing the issue?

Thanks

Stephen Oliver

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Are you comparing number of transactions or revenue?

Normally there will be an under reporting in GA, the reasons can be:

- visitors who do not allow tracking

- payments which are registered on GA but where the invoice or card is later rejected

- transactions where the order is later returned

In the ecommerce accounts I've managed, I normally would expect around a 10% difference - though I have seen as a low as 1 - 5%.

I'd recommend plotting out the difference over time, see if it's stable or if it fluctuates from day to day. If that's the case then try to see if specific products, or actions (e.g. returns) are the cause. Product names with special characters in them, for example "", will cause the tracking to break.

If the number of transactions  is about right, but the revenue is off; then consider checking whether discounts are correctly applying, whether tax is handled as you expect or if currencies are managed correctly for example. 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

(I realise I assumed you are meaning ecommerce tracking - or this is just a goal?)

Regardless - I'd also recommend downloading your back end data; say for the last 7 days (or longer if you have few transactions) and comparing each transaction. Create a master list of those that are missing and see if anything sticks out as a possible issue. However, regarding my earlier statement, if the number remains steady at 15%, and you can't see any visible pattern of those that are missing (i.e. they are not returns or discounts) then I would not be too concerned.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi John, 

Thanks for your inputs. 

As of now we're not using any refund, cancellation, taxation, discount code data into GA. I've checked it with my database found difference of 15% on daily basis since long time without any pattern. 

I'm thinking that may tag manager or my thanks page causing the issue. So I'll skip tag manager for analytics tags and use them directly on the site. 

Does it sound good? Do you have any other suggestion based on my additions?

Thanks

Stephen

Re: 15% eCommerce Transactions are Missing in Google Analytics, How to Fix?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi John, 

As discussed earlier I've tried it both way with and without tag manager. But still the issue remains persistent. What could be the other reasons? Looking forward to hear from you. 

Thanks

Stephen