Analytics
4.1K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

wp-admin and website not opening after google analytics update

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm not not able to open my wordpress admin and even website after an update of Google Analytics Plugin.

Plugin in not even found in plugin.php file on Ftp server.

Please can anybody help me out my website is www.ucreato.com 

need help.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Umang S,

What your site is experiencing is called in WordPress land... White Screen of Death (coined after Windows' Blue Screen of Death). This happens from a memory max limit or another critical issue with the hosting server. You can try search Google for terms like WordPress white screen of death, which will yield all sorts of info.

If you have a backup of your website, it would be best to re-upload via FTP.

If you do not have a backup... there are things to try that range from easy and relaxed... to difficult and irritated. You may have to install a fresh copy of WordPress and the theme, contents, etc.. all over again, like you did in the start of your website. Before you do, take a look at these resources and work your way through the easiest to the hardest. 

1) Try to disable all of your Plugins. Locate the Plugins folder, inside the WP-Content folder. Right click on the Plugins folder and rename it to anything you like... such as plugins.old.

This should get you back into your admin panel. And you can rename the fold back to what it was... and reactivate each plugin one by one, without enabling the plugin that controls the Analytics code. It could be Yoast SEO or one like it. If you need to research each plugin by typing in the names of them into Google Search and see which one offers the Google Analytics action.

2) You can also contact your hosting company's support department and seek their help. They might have a backups running and can publish yesterday's version. I like to clone servers and do a backup so that I have at least three versions to work with.

3) You could republish your theme, which should fix things and keep your content intact.

4) You could make a thread in the WordPress help forums and hope someone can help. And/or you could contact WordPress and get help from them directly, which I think might cost a few dollars... but could be worth it.

I hope this info helps in some way.

All the Best,

James 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @James_Clemens aka James,

great answer!

I even experienced the black screen of death, when I updated the excellent GTM PlugIn gtm4wp from Tamas Geiger together with the latest WP release. Interesting experience, it never happened before and I couldn't even figure out, why it happened.

So, boys and girls, guys and gals, ladies and gentlemen:

Backups are your best friend in WP land ;-)

Have a great weekend!

Re: wp-admin and website not opening after google analytics update

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you sir for your reply and support.
Sir have another issue I just upgraded the Google Analytics Plugin but it
is not present in wp-content /plugin folder of Ftp so do I delete it.or
changing the changing plugin.php name will work.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Umang S,

You will probably not see a Google Analytics plugin as it will be integrated into another plugin (see Arne's post where his is call gtm5wp). By renaming the plugins folder, you can quickly test the environment as renaming it is like it not being present since you are breaking the file path to them all. You can then use a different web browser (or clear your cache) and attempt to access your admin panel and then your website. If this step works, you can save the stress of the others... and then you can research the plugins to see which one handles the action of Google Analytics and leave it disabled while renaming the plugins folder back to original name and republishing it via FTP. 

As @Arne Kriedemann has discussed, backups should be on your to-do list once you get your site back. We both are giving you tried and true advice from the trenches. Again, I clone the server so that I have a replica, and I to a daily backup, and I keep another copy safe... triple redundancy and even still I know something unfortunate could happen since technology can have a mind of its own.

Thanks for adding to this, Arne, and for the kind words. I hope you have a great weekend, too, sir. 

Umang S, you are very welcome. I just checked your website and you are back in action. Please let us know what happened and how you solved it. 

Kind Regards,

James