Analytics
2K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

which preferred domain to use ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

earlier i am using both versions (www and non-www version) 
Yesterday i got a error in google analytics(Redundant Hostnames

Property ******* is receiving data from redundant hostnames)

I researched and found that i have to use a single preferred version of my domain(www or non-www version) and to put 301 redirect so other search engines also determine that.

But the problem is that i have huge hits and huge backlinks for both versions www version as well as non www version.

Please tell me a way to not loosing my SEO ranking and visitors. I am totally fed up and confused in thinking which version should i select because both version indexed in google.
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: which preferred domain to use ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

You can choose either the www or the non www version. There are no SEO benefits of choosing one over another. The 301 redirect will pass most of the ranking power (between 90 to 99%) of the redirected version to the version you choose. The version you redirect from will be removed from Google's index.
Let me know if you have more questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
please listen !
I have good backlinks for www version of my website but i choose non-www version. Does this put any bad impact on my seo ?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

If you have higher rankings for the www version then I would go with that version, as I mentioned above some of the ranking power is lost through the redirection.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
i have selected preferred domain as non-www version the day before yesterday , but still google showing huge results for www version till now.

How much time google will take for completely removing www version and showing preferred domain version i.e. non-www version ??

waiting for the reply !

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi,

It depends how often Google crawls your site.

The Google document says:

"It may take some time before you see this change fully reflected in our index. All pages that currently display the non-preferred version of the URL in the index will remain in the index that way until we refresh our indexing of those pages."

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/44231?hl=en