Analytics
4.8K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

utm medium parameters - social or referral?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

We do a lot of campaigns where we use utm parameters to mark this traffic as campaign and not direct. As we have a LOT of links and a lot of people setting these links up, I've built a link builder spreadsheet in order to standardise the source/medium as it was getting messy.

My question is; when would I use referral? Specifically, there's a link underneath a YouTube video (not paid) and we want to be able to identify that traffic as having come from YouTube as source, but would I use 'social' or 'referral' as the medium? 

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nicola E
December 2015

Re: utm medium parameters - social or referral?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a similar list. If you can give me a few more examples I can help out. What I have actually done is made my own channel grouping and then created my own medium eg: Links.

As for your second question (If you don't have custom channels) is to use the following for your Youtube links:

• Source: youtube.com
  • Medium: social

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nicola E
December 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a similar list. If you can give me a few more examples I can help out. What I have actually done is made my own channel grouping and then created my own medium eg: Links.

As for your second question (If you don't have custom channels) is to use the following for your Youtube links:

• Source: youtube.com
  • Medium: social

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Bryan Smiley Happy That was the only example I had in terms of referral - I'm actually looking at custom channel groupings at the moment inspired by your post, but I imagine that'll be a whole other conversation! Appreciate the help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bryan,

Would you consider traffic coming from an unpaid listing on a job board as Referral or Organic? By default, GA classes as Referral. However, recently this job board added UTM parameters to all our listings and it now appears as Organic next to Google, Bing and other search engines. 

Is there any benefit to this? 

Thanks in advance,

Kate

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Kate,

Send the job board an email and ask them to switch their utm from organic (which it is not) to referral. If they refuse to comply then we will discuss the next option. 

Organic is definitely not the right medium for a job board. 

It would even be better for them to use medium "jobs" as an option rather than organic. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bryan,

Thank you for your response and for confirming my suspicions. 

I've sent our Account Manager there an email so this should be resolved very soon!

Thanks again,

Kate