Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

is this even possible?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK folks -- here's one I'm not sure about. 

I have a client who owns a URL at domain.com that is used for an event.  They decided, instead of building their own website, to subscribe to a service provider for their event registration.   This service provider requires them to simply redirect their domain.com URL to the service provider's url -- which is, of course, long and confusing.   

The client now wants to spend money indexing and promoting their domain on Google;   but I'm recommending that this is unwise, because when indexed, everything at domain.com will simply redirect to somethingelse.com     In other words, dollars spent by company A to index their domain will really only benefit company B's URL.     And, even if the redirects ARE specific to my client's needs, the detain in the SERP is just going to show this third party content (we already know we cannot change page titles, description, etc. on the third party page content).   

Am I correct that this is a losing effort?  

Thoughts? 

Re: is this even possible?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Its not worth taking the pain and indexing if you are indeed trying to just redirect it to a different location. If you are interested in tracking the URL which the client owns, you still have to inject some script before it redirects and you wouldn't need to index it. Also if the redirect is at BigIP then you will not even have that opportunity.

Re: is this even possible?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That was my inclination too Venugopal. I see no reason to index a domain if all traffic is going to redirect to a different URL. In fact, I wonder if that would draw some kind of negative valuation from Google, knowing that the destination url isn't going to be the same firm, etc.

Unless anyone else has any input, I'm going with this answer....