Analytics
13.4K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

how to set up my landing page URL as default URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am going to set up my landing page affiliate link  as default URL but getting error .

I have put the analytics code into my landing page ....so how can I track it from analytics dashboard.

Thank for any help.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: how to set up my landing page URL as default URL

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi there.
What error?
Please provide a screenshot and a detailed step by step description of what you are doing or trying to do and we'll be able to offer some more specific advice.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your comment.
I can not upload screen due to getting error and I do not know why.
I am trying to put my page URL from property section but getting error as :
URL can not contain query
my website link is:
http://www..myurl/gr.php?id=46
Thanks for any feed back

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Dave_Davis (Top Contributor)
November 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I understand now.

The default URL is mainly for telling GA what your homepage is so that it doesn't duplicate hits to the likes of www.example.com and example.com

You don't have to set this at all. You're putting your landing page or a tracking URL in. That's not what this field is for. You should just leave it blank. Alternatively, just enter your home page or root domain URL. 

The tracking code goes in the code on your website. However, for an affiliate sire, you will not /can not get any stats or reports once the visitor leaves your site.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you learn how GA works using this free resource before continuing. https://analyticsacademy.withgoogle.com/explorer

You'll get a lot more benefit if you know what it does and does not do.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again for info.
Please let me clarify if I understood what you have mentioned.
But I do not have any website and I just got that landing page url from landing page creator where I am a member of it.
so do you mean there is no any way I can track it even if I put the google analytics code into it?
Thank you

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
sorry again but it does not allow me to leave it blank from analytics with no input for url as you said.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
You can track it if you can put the code on the page. But it will only track pages with the code on it.

Enter the root domain in the field.

I'm very concerned that you don't really know what you're setting up though or indeed why. I'd encourage you to watch the fundamentals videos that I linked above as that will explain everything.

Hope that helps.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi シアマク ア,

The Default URL field is required and as you have already noticed, it cannot contain query parameters.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn