Analytics
5.5K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Wordpress Page Views are 10x higher than Google Analytics page views.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does anyone know why this would be happening? I've installed & uninstalled and believe I am using the analytics plug in correctly - please help!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @lauren r,

If you have filters on Google Analytics view, your data might be different in both places.

The other reason can be related to the plug-in that you are using.  If it does not load Google Analytics library on correct time while page is when user comes to your website and pageview command trigger, you can see differences.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hmm no filters that I can see. This is the 2nd analytics plug in Im using so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

No filters at the account or view level?

Which plugin are you using?

Both the Google and Yoast plugins seem to work, and are really easy to setup. Since the code is applied at the property level, you could create a new property for each plugin (also easy), and see which, if any of them accurately report data, in an unfiltered view.

Tom

Re: Wordpress Page Views are 10x higher than Google Analytics page views.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm using the attached plug-in. Google analytics doesn't have any filters listed.Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 10.04.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-06-08 at 10.01.26 PM.png

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

To the best of my knowledge the analytics plugin you are using, removes your own data from being tracked when logged into the WP admin. 

What product is being used to track the wordpress pageviews? Jetpack stats?

Are you also comparing data for the same date ranges in both tracking solutions?

(bare in mind, analytics will not show historical data that happened prior to the date of anlaytics setup and correct installation of the tracking code)

eta.. having multiple analytics tracking plugins installed for the same property can lead to faulty data

as can multiple trackers for different properties if the tracking code snippet is not configured for multiple analytics trackers.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

@Bronwyn V is the best! Smiley Happy She'll help you get this figured out. Smiley Happy

Tom

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

tomhalejr wrote:

@Bronwyn V is the best! Smiley Happy 

Thanks (i spend wayyy tooo much time here at times) lol ;-))

forgot to add too..are you able to pls provide a link to your site @Lauren R

Often comparing different analytics solutions is a bit like trying to compare chalk and cheese.

thanks 

Bronwyn

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

First, check the code in source view. Make sure there is only one Analytics code and that it matches the one in your analytics account.

Second, make sure it is located in the header of the page.

Third, check if WordPress Plugin is removing clicks from robots by removing irrelevant clicks from Analytics. Can you recreate the metrics by adding filters in Analytics? If so, then your plugin is trying to provide you better metrics.

Also, make sure your plugin is compatible with your site and that it is the newest version.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 9.30.00 AM.png

Hi,

Thank you for your reply! I am at laurenrabadi.com - its a relatively new site. I just switched from blogspot where I was registering the correct page views on GA and the blogspot stats so thats why Im a little panicky about this. I have Jetpack calculating the wordpress stats. I have the attached as the analytics I've downloaded but just one is active.

I am comparing the same pageview data - yesterday for instance has wordpress stats coming in at double than my GA.