Analytics
1.9K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Why analytics still counts visits for closed site?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello! I'm using Google Analytics for almost ten years on lots of different sites I've made (from business card sites to large forums). Only recently I was doing some maintenance on my account, when my attention was caught by the fact that analytics still shows and counts clicks (visits) for one of my sites that was brought down more than year ago (and domain itself was closed six months ago).

What the hell? How can there be still some traffic counted for website that's not active for more than a year? Should'nt there be instant fall of visitors graph to 0 from the same day site was brought down and deleted from server? Could someone explain what's going on here?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why analytics still counts visits for closed site?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

Your property is receiving fake hits, it's called referral spam. The spammers are sending these fake hits directly to Google Analytics using the measurement protocol without real visits to the site. You can read about referral spam in the article below:
https://www.optimizesmart.com/what-i-learned-from-trying-to-fix-the-ghost-referrer-spam-in-google-an...
Hope this explains why are you still receiving data.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Re: Why analytics still counts visits for closed site?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Oh, that explains a lot - up til this moment I was sure that even fake referrals needs real, exisitng domain to point to. Huh, getting smarter every day, thanks.

So, basically only way around this is to create customised view templates for all my project analytics pages and make sure that my clients (who I share access to analytics with) don't get confused by these fake hits and fake activity in site?