Analytics
1.8K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Why am I being redirected?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to learn analytics, and it doesn't help that every time I try to view a resource on this forum, from an organic search, I see the page for half a second then it redirects back to the the Google Analytics Community Homepage.  I've registered and there's nothing else on the page that I need to fill in, so why am I being redirected?  This is incredibly frustrating.

The link I'm trying to visit is https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwixoLCL3b...

and it's redirecting me to https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Analytics/ct-p/Google_Analytics

I'm using Windows 8.1, Google Chrome.  If I click back, the content I want loads but immediately redirects.  If I view a cached version I only get the first post in the thread, and nothing else.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why am I being redirected?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
The links you are trying to see are on the old forum, which has not moved to here.

In the search results it should give you an option to see a cached version of the page, which will allow you to read the
page you are trying to access.

I would possibly ask whatever questions you have here in the new GA advertiser community, that way you can be assured you are given answers in relation to the most current version of analytics.
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, thanks very much for your reply!  However, as I mentioned in my original post, if I open a cached copy of the page I get the text from the post author asking his question, but none of the replies.  

I have searched the forum for the exact text I'm looking for, but it displays no results.  I search google for "Google Analytics dimensions are only available for AdWords traffic" and I find the post I want to see on the first page.  I search these forums, and I get no results if I use the quotation marks.  If I don't, I simply do not find what I'm looking for. 

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to leave feedback on the forum.  It's terrible, and I can't believe google would put their name to anything this bad.  The UI is simply awful.  This is by far the worst forum I have ever used.  There's not even an easy way to view your posts!  In order to find this post I had created, I had to search for it.  If there is an easy way to see this information, I can't find it.  Most forums have a page where you can view your posts, replies, etc.  If this forum has one, it's not immediately accessible to me, which means it's a pretty poorly designed UI.  Sounds like the forums could use being reverted to the old format, particularly as you can't view content that was posted on the old one, rendering all this useful data useless.

Regardless of whether the forum has moved to here, it should still be accessible.  The page displays, and then immediately redirects.  Thus if the unnecessary redirect is stopped, everything will be fine.  If I'm quick with the print screen button, I can read the first page of text, but I shouldn't have to, and doesn't fix the issue.  It seems like someone has messed up the implementation of the new forum, and it needs to be fixed.  Is there any way of logging a ticket or support call for this?  

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Ryan :-)
I'm sorry to be a pain.. are you able to pls possibly provide a screen shot of what you see after clicking on one of the link for the relevant cached page you are trying to access the replies to.
I doubt i am getting the same search results as you for that same query so I'm interested to see what you are seeing.

To access your posts, click your email address at the upper left just under your avatar. and then click your user name when (should be first option in the drop down) on the linked page there will be a section with Latest Posta and a link at the lower right of it to View All.

To access your community subscription settings etc..again click your email address at the upper left again and select My Settings.
this takes you to a page where you can access tabs for changing preferences, subscription/notifications etc.

The GA Advertiser Community is a free user to user community resource. I dont actually know where someone can give feedback about the forum itself., I'll have to try and find out as you now have me curious.

Other support options can be found here:
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Other-Support-Channels/Additional-Support-Options/ba-p/473...

And there is a post here on how to use the new community
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Help-Resources/How-to-Use-the-New-Community/ba-p/475944
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is incredibly backwards. you guys have had 3 years to do something about this.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Pat M wrote:
This is incredibly backwards. you guys have had 3 years to do something about this.

Hi Pat :-)

The Google Analytics product forum only moved to this new community platform late last year. 
I'm also assuming when you say 'you guys' you are meaning Google

I'm not a Google Employee. GA Advertiser Community Top Contributors, Rising Stars and other Community Members
all volunteer their time to help people here and share their product knowledge/expertise

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn, thanks very much for getting back to me.  

Here's a screenshot of the cached page:

Screenshot 2016-08-09 14.40.48.png

As for creating a new post with the question, I have found the answer.  It was a question pertaining to which Google Analytics Dimensions are only available for Adwords traffic.  I swear I've watch the video three times, and perhaps I'm zoning out because of how amazingly boring the video is, but I could not find this answer anywhere in the video.  I've found out the answer, but the video was zero help and I had to go and find out the answer myself.  The thing is I hadn't got a single sample question wrong until now, and suddenly I have no idea of the answer and watching the video multiple times doesn't seem to help either.  Have the lessons suddenly much more difficult, or am I being stupid, or has the up until now interesting videos suddenly become duller than drying paint, or simply has the quality of the video dropped off and it's not providing the information I need to answer the questions?  I just don't know.  But having to jump through hoops to view a page which may contain the answer (It appears it does, but due to the immediate redirecting I cannot tell) certainly isn't the best way to make users learn.  Also, even though I now have the answer, I don't know why it's correct, as I couldn't find this in the video so I've had no explanation. Is this a bad question?  It was incredibly difficult for me to find the information, with other sources saying I should visit the following link and look up the information myself, which as a beginner to Analytics and Adwords does not help me at all: 

As for the forum, it's free because Google makes an incredible amount of money from these portions of it business, the more people they can teach this to and the more support they offer, the more money they will earn, so it's not really like a "this is a free service, be grateful" type of scenario!  I simply can't believe that this information shows up in search queries (in it's current state, surely this should be marked with a 301 or 302 and not showing up in search results) let alone on the front page.  This kind of, 'data was once accessible but now no longer is' the type of scenario that seems to go against everything google stands for.

I have to admit I found the videos very interesting until we got to reporting, then I found them too fast paced and boring (a deadly combination) and as far as I could tell the information required to answer the questions on their site wasn't contained in their videos.   I'm starting to seriously consider the value to my career in learning this when I can't even find the information on Google's own forums.  Do you have any suggestions to good resources for learning Analytics that may help me, as I seem to have hit a brick wall with Google's own videos and resources.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/reporting/core/dimsmets#view=detail&group=adwords

I tried to post this link on my reply above, but I get a message about invalid html in the post. It belongs at the end of the first paragraph.  However, it lets me take it out and post it as a separate reply.  This forum is truly is the worst forum I've ever used, and all the trouble I've had so far makes me think it's really not worth this level of difficulty at evey stage.  As a beginner, the videos tell you what to do but not how to get to the place you start from, and overall it feels like I'm asking the question of "how?" and the questions and tutorials simply say "just do it!".  To be fair I am having an incredibly bad week.  Despite well over a decade working on the tecchie side of Corportate IT, perhaps I'm simply too stupid to understand this.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Ryan :-)
Is your question in relation to the Analytics Academy courses/videos?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
I appreciate you taking the time to do the screen shot too,
and yes, I see the issue with the cached page re no replies etc.