Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Where is data stored

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am in the EU and need to know if GA stores my data within the EU or not. Anybody know if Google make a statement anywhere in the documentation ( I cannot find this), or if there is any other way to find this information. 

At the moment we are using the free version, is there any support for free version that I could pose this question to or do we need premium.

Thanks,

Daniel.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Daniel M
July 2016

Re: Where is data stored

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Daniel,

For lack of a better answer, your data is "in the cloud" with no central repository.
As such, it is safe to say that there is no guarantee that your data will be stored in Germany or even in the EU.
If data storage is an issue, maybe Google Analytics is not for you and maybe you should look as solutions such as Piwik.
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Follow-up: using 360/Premium does not solve this issue.
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Julien, Piwik is on my radar also but does not give conversion funnels out of the box which was why I went with GA. I will dig a bit deeper with Info sec and see what they think. Thanks for the follow up also

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I know that Germany has a tighter take on data storage, ownership and governance. You may also want to look into Webtrekk. They're a German premium player (although I have reservations about their continued existence in a Google-driven digital ecosystem) and can very likely comply with your infosec team's requirements.

However, this does not mean you should give up on GA entirely. There is still a lot you can do by anonymizing data and by being selective about which data points you capture.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Julien, I will add Webtrekk to the list of possibles Smiley Happy