Analytics
1.7K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

What happens if we exceed the GA 10 Million hits limit?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I need clarifications on the actions GA would take when the 10 million individual account hits limit is reached/exceeded.
* Does it start dropping random events (sampling) over 10M?
* Does nothing happen until a way higher number is reached then representatives reach out to the account admin?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jin Y,

Once you reach the 10 million limit, you (the admin) would receive a phone call from support... which would most-likely start with a "cheers" for having such great performance. Next, they would suggest you start thinking about a premium account (Analytics 360), but would first monitor things a bit more. They could also suggest setting up client sampling to reduce the amount of data being sent to Analytics. 

Keep in mind the limit is 10 million per month per property, so reaching it for one month and then falling back down really should not cause anything to happen.

Generally if someone is hitting this high limit, they would benefit from a Analytics 360 account.

Kind Regards,

James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the info, James!

Would GA drop hits when the limit is reached? If yes, our GA data would not be usable ever since we are over-limit. If no, at least we can still use the data for analysis and fix the over-limit issue when we get resource. The data quality is my biggest concern.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jin Y
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Jin Y,

You are very welcome. 

Your data is still tracked as normal. You are just putting a strain on the Google Analytics system. 

You would get a warning on your account that you are exceeding the limit of the TOS (terms of service) and that if you continue to breach this limit, the data may not be available... which is to get your attention in hopes you find a way to either limit the data being pushed to Google or that you step up to an account meant for such heavy amounts of data.

I would not worry too much if this is the first month you have breached the limit... but I would be highly-concerned if it is happening month after month.

Kind Regards,

James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Got it. This is really helpful. Thanks again, James!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Jin Y,

You are very welcome. 

I dug this article up, which may be quite useful to you in your journey. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @J Clemens  

The article is helpful. Thanks again for sharing!

Regards,

Jin

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Howdy, 

Could you please explain what is meant by "client sampling". Is this  sampling by ClientID rather than sessions? Would there be implications for userID tracking? 

Thank you, 

Bryan

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi J Clemens,

Is it normal that we have passed the 10M hits limit for the last 30 days and we don't see any warning message within the Admin area? I can't confirm if we've got an email because the email address to log in GA is a generic one that only recently we managed to get access to. Thanks, A.