Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

View old analytics data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,  Trying to view historical data on our site.  The tracking code has been embedded for years but the developer never set up an Analytics account for us.  Would like to paste this code into our Analytics account to view history.

However when I go to admin it will only generate me a new code.  How do I insert the old code?

thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

View old analytics data

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Amy :-)
You cant insert the old code into the GA interface to view historic data.
The developer that created the original GA account to generate the tracking code that is on

the site. would need to add you as a user to the relevant GA account so as to have access to
the data.
The account itself may have since been deleted even though the tracking code is on the site.

Are you able to contact the developer and ask for access?

If not, you may be able to try an account recovery. You may only be able to get read access to the historical data
You will need to create an adwords account to access the support options. It is free to do.
There is a comprehensive post by Niall in the following thread on how to go about the account recovery process
(its the one marked as best answer)
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-Tracking-and-Reporting/Regaining-access-to-your-Go...

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here