Analytics
2.2K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

User Privacy Policy concerns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am working with a company that needs to track the users on the website inorder to recommend certain deals based on what they're browsing.

I'm using the user-id provided by the company to identify each user. The only information that I'll be collecting in the future, are page they're viewing, time spent etc. 

Does this violate user privacy policy?

I hope it shouldn't because the only information that I''ll be using is their user-ids that are provided by the company itself.

Please advise!

Thanks!!

Re: User Privacy Policy concerns

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I think this is a great question to ask since it "walks the fine line". Tracking users on the website should not be an issue so long as there personal information, such as their name, address, or social security number, is not tied your Google Analytics data. You can however track it with their user ID, such as MRM62.

This article is a good resource for leveraging user data from external systems to better serve your audience.
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6066725?hl=en&ref_topic=6231191

There are probably others who could provide you better guidance on the privacy policy, but it sounds like you should be safe considering the details that you have provided.