Analytics
4.8K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Used legacy approach to track in GA account but recently want to start tracking through GTM

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Legacy approach was used to track the clicks in GA but recent requirement is to track all activities through GTM.

I am in fix whether to use old GA account or to create new GA account. I already have historical data in my database.

Please suggest me best practice and reason.

Used legacy approach to track in GA account but recently want to start tracking through GTM

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

You can always use the same GA account. So that historical data remains.

While replacing the old GA code with GTM code do a thorough testing.

You can also use GA debugger: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-analytics-debugger/jnkmfdileelhofjcijamephohjechhna...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I can create new propertyID for new tracking but already too many properties are exist in old GA account.

I need to create new account to eliminate user access level too but need some more points why I want to create new account to explain the client.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I would also recommend to use the old GA account.... and do a good cleanup of unnecessary web properties and views (and user access!). There are very few reasons that justifies the use of 50 properties and/or 25 views. Historically, people created a bunch of properties and views to work around some limitations, but those are typically not useful anymore.

This reference might help.