Analytics
2.3K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Url contains illegal characters: dashes

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been trying to set up a new Google Analytics account for my tumblr blog. However, when I enter in my URL, I get an error message reading "URL contains illegal characters." The URL looks something like -blogname-.tumblr.com. I have figured out that the dashes are the issue, because when I incorrectly type in the URL without the dashes (i.e. blogname.tumblr.com), it allows me to proceed. I am unable to change my URL to remove the dashes and have tried using a URL shortener to get around the problem. Unfortunately, it seems that Google Analytics does not recognize shortened URLs. I am unsure how to work around this issue, and would appreciate any suggestions you all may have. Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Url contains illegal characters: dashes

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
The problem shouldn't be the dashes, plenty of domain names contain them and i also own domains with dashes.
Never encountered an issue when trying to setup Google Analytics.

I noticed when i copy paste your example. there is a period/dot between

the dash and tumblr:
The URL looks something like -blogname-.tumblr.com

Are you copy and pasting the url in?
Type it in instead and do not enter http:// or https://
make sure there are no spaces on either side of the dashes and no empty characters at the end

ic.jpg
and no empty spaces at the end of the url or barely visible dots etc

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn! Thanks for your reply.

So the dot in the URL is supposed to be there because the blog is hosted by tumblr. Also, thank you for the tip about spaces. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the issue. Here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing:

Screen Shot 2016-05-27 at 10.57.03 AM.png

I recently discovered that it seems to go through not only when I remove the dashes completely, but when I insert them into the middle of the url (i.e. blog-name.tumblr.com) as well. So could my issue be that it rejects dashes in those particular positions, and how might I work around that? Thanks again.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Gday :-)
Just because I am persistant, .. are you able to pls provide the url to the blog in question?

eta.. a domain name cant start with a dash and a domain name can have dashes in it but not before the dot

sorry am increasing the font for readability

eg my-blog.tumbler.com is fine 

-my-blog.tumbler.com is not as it starts with a dash

my-blog-.tumbler.com is not as the 2nd dash comes after the word blog and is immediately preceding .tumbler.com my-blog-anotherwordhere.tumbler.com would be ok

Thanks
Bronwyn

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here